Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brachotelohai Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2012, 10:56 AM
    Custody in the event of the death of custodial parent
    My husband has custody of his son. A few days ago, he was talking about the fact that we don't have a will, and that we need to get that done as soon as possible, just in case, because no one ever knows what can happen. Well, he mentioned something about wanted to make sure that if he ever were to pass away before his son turns 18, he wants it placed in his will that his custodial rights pass on to me. Is that even possible? I have never heard of that happening before, really wasn't thinking about it, because of course I wouldn't ever want it to come to that type of situation. Does anyone have any info on this? I'm in VA, if it matters.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2012, 11:20 AM
    Nope, a child is not property that can be left in a will. A will can suggest the parent's preference, but the law says the child goes to the nearest relative. Now it may be possible, no one challenges your right to raise the child, but that part of the will can be easily challenged and overturned.
    brachotelohai Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2012, 08:22 AM
    Yeah, that's what I thought. My poor husband thinks otherwise, so I just dropped it and I'll let our attorney tell him when we go to get our wills done with her. He's just concerned because his son's mother isn't the best person for him to be around. Let's just hope he lives to a ripe old age :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After death of NON custodial parent, what happens to child support? [ 11 Answers ]

What happens to child support payments when non custodial parent dies? Are they automatically forgiven ?

Custodial parent losing custody [ 1 Answers ]

Can a custodial parent lose custody of their child if found guilty of domestic violence?

Non custodial parent rights in death of a child he pays support for [ 5 Answers ]

Friend who is non custodial parent - his daughter killed last night in car wreck in MD. What are his rights as to state of burial. Mother moves around. He pays child support to Lancaster, PA, where they did live. SHe wants child buried in SC where she is moving to.

Rights of non custodial parent in a divorce wherein death occurred to custodial parent [ 2 Answers ]

Non custodial non US citizen parent (father) lives in Mexico. Custodial parent of two minor children (5 years old and 1 year old) is US citizen in Illinois. Divorce papers named father but set forth no requirements or terms for visitation, child support etc. There has been little if any contact...

View more questions Search