Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Abhimanyu Pudi Posts: 77, Reputation: 4

Oct 2, 2012, 01:34 AM
    Is there anything wrong with this sentence?
    I am writing down my thoughts on a past event. I've to describe the event by transitioning to past and I got struck with this.

Is this a right decision? Am I rightly judging my ability?

Since this is something about past. Should I modify it as:

Was this a right decision? Was I rightly judging my ability?

Or if there is any other better form of this, please let me know.
    solidzane Posts: 111, Reputation: 8

Oct 2, 2012, 11:00 AM
    I would probably write it like this...

"Was that the right decision? Am/Was I judging my my abilities correctly?" (Or just "ability" as you had...

It's really about personal preference... If I were the person writing this... journal entry?. I would go with "Was" and "abilities"... But that's because of the way I write... To each their own. ;-)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 2, 2012, 11:19 AM
    Well, if you are thinking in the present tense, "is" would be correct. If you are ruminating on what you were thinking in the past, "was" works. It's six of one and half dozen of the other.

Is the a context or larger text this fits into?

Oct 2, 2012, 10:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Well, if you are thinking in the present tense, "is" would be correct. If you are ruminating on what you were thinking in the past, "was" works. It's six of one and half dozen of the other.

Is the a context or larger text this fits into?
    I'm actually writing an admission essay evaluating an ethical dilemma I had faced a few months ago. So, I have to ruminate on something which happened earlier.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 2, 2012, 10:11 PM
    If it is a narrative and you quote in italics what you were thinking at the time, then "is." Like this --

My cat seemed to be quite ill. He was listless and refused to eat and drink. What am I to do? I have no money for a vet, but my sweet cat needs to be seen by one. I wonder if my neighbor will lend me enough and will trust me to pay her back. I decided to call the vet and make an appointment.

Oct 2, 2012, 10:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by solidzane View Post
    I would probably write it like this...

"Was that the right decision? Am/Was I judging my my abilities correctly?" (Or just "ability" as you had...

It's really about personal preference... If I were the person writing this... journal entry?... I would go with "Was" and "abilities"... But that's because of the way I write... To each their own. ;-)
    Its not a journal entry, though. Its an admission essay.

Oct 2, 2012, 10:16 PM
    If it is a narrative and you quote in italics what you were thinking at the time, then "is." Like this --

My cat seemed to be quite ill. He was listless and refused to eat and drink. What am I to do? I have no money for a vet, but my sweet cat needs to be seen by one. I wonder if my neighbor will lend me enough and will trust me to pay her back. I decided to call the vet and make an appointment.
    Here it is. Can I go with it then?

I knew that this rank wasn't going to get me the major I intended and I was right. I was offered to pursue bio-chemical engineering at IIT-Varanasi.

I was pretty depressed. I wanted to give it another try because I want my path to be chosen by me, not by fate. But is this a right decision? Am I rightly judging my ability? To this day, I still weigh the ethical dilemma of my career decision.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 2, 2012, 10:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Abhimanyu Pudi View Post
    Here it is. Can I go with it then?

I knew that this rank wasn't going to get me the major I intended and I was right. I was offered to pursue bio-chemical engineering at IIT-Varanasi.

I was pretty depressed. I wanted to give it another try because I want my path to be chosen by me, not by fate. But is this a right decision? Am I rightly judging my ability? To this day, I still weigh the ethical dilemma of my career decision.
    Do it this way --

I was pretty depressed. I wanted to give it another try because I wanted my path to be chosen by me, not by fate. But is this a right decision? I wondered. Am I rightly judging my ability? To this day, I still weigh the ethical dilemma of my career decision.

Oct 2, 2012, 10:26 PM
    Do it this way --

I was pretty depressed. I wanted to give it another try because I want my path to be chosen by me, not by fate. But is this a right decision? I wondered. Am I rightly judging my ability? To this day, I still weigh the ethical dilemma of my career decision.
    Thank you so much. It does seem quite complete now. If you don't mind, can u check an extract from another paragraph?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 2, 2012, 10:28 PM
    Sure. Please post it.

Oct 2, 2012, 10:34 PM
    This decision made me realize that important decisions in life are often difficult to make. I reckon that I’ve made a good one and hope to make such in future. Spending one year waiting for “my moment” has also given me patience and an increased tenacity that I will carry forward into other areas of my life.

Are there any mistakes or changes to be made? The first sentence, I think, looks like a cliché. Should I change it?

Do I sound like a braggart if I change the second sentence to:

I reckon that I've mede a good one, though.

Oct 2, 2012, 10:36 PM
    Oh, its "made" and not "mede"
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 2, 2012, 10:39 PM
    I have come to realize that important decisions in life are often difficult to make. I reckon that I’ve made a good one and will make more in the future. Waiting a whole year for “my moment” has also given me patience and an increased tenacity that I will carry forward into other areas of my life.

I don't understand the use of "reckon."

Oct 2, 2012, 10:45 PM
    I have come to realize that important decisions in life are often difficult to make. I reckon that I’ve made a good one and will make more in the future. Waiting a whole year for “my moment” has also given me patience and an increased tenacity that I will carry forward into other areas of my life.

I don't understand the use of "reckon."
    I've rejected an admission offer last May because I didn't get my intended major. I have to attend the same exam in coming April. So, How can I be sure that I've made a good decision? This made me use "reckon" as I believe it to be a good decision.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 2, 2012, 10:47 PM
    "Reckon" sounds like an American cowboy.

I'm confident that

I'm sure that

I'm comfortable with

Oct 2, 2012, 10:52 PM
    I was afraid that I may sound like an egoist or braggart, rambling about my great decision-making skills. So, I didn't use "confident" or "sure". Do you think using any of these words wouldn't work against me?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 2, 2012, 10:55 PM
    I knew that this rank wasn't going to get me the major I wanted, and I was right. I was invited to pursue bio-chemical engineering at IIT-Varanasi.

I was pretty depressed. I wanted to give it another try because I wanted my path to be chosen by me, not by fate. But is this a right decision? I wondered. Am I rightly judging my ability? To this day, I still weigh the ethical dilemma of my career decision.

I have come to realize that important decisions in life are often difficult to make. I'm confident that I've made a good one this time--and, remembering this experience, I will make more good ones in the future. Waiting a whole year for “my moment” has also given me patience and an increased tenacity that I will carry forward into other areas of my life.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 2, 2012, 10:57 PM
    I was afraid that I may sound like an egoist or braggart, rambling about my great decision-making skills. So, I didn't use "confident" or "sure". Do you think using any of these words wouldn't work against me?
    If you were a male, you wouldn't hesitate. At this level of education, one doesn't wimp out.

Oct 2, 2012, 11:00 PM
    Wow!! Now, that never speaks as a braggart!

You are really wonderful as in your name. Thank you so much. You've also given me a lot of confidence which I really need at this point of time. Thank you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 2, 2012, 11:05 PM
    Wow!! Now, that never speaks as a braggart!
    We women need to appreciate who we are and what we have to contribute.
    You are really wonderful as in your name. Thank you so much. You've also given me a lot of confidence which I really need at this point of time. Thank you.
    "Wondergirl" means, as a librarian, I wonder a lot -- poor choice of a user name since people think I want to be Supergirl. My usual user name on other sites is CeeBee. I should have registered with that here too.

I'm glad I could help! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you find the best word to complete this sentence - "If things go wrong, try to av [ 1 Answers ]

Can you find the best word to complete this sentence - " If things go wrong, try to avoid ___ too much. In due time, things, will turn all right."

How I can change english sentence to bengali sentence for free? [ 1 Answers ]

The day I saw u last time you were slim but now...

If you flatten a probation sentence in jail do I owe fees on that probation sentence? [ 1 Answers ]

Do I owe fees for a probation sentence if I served the time to flatten the probation sentence if I have to come out on a second probation that was ran consecutive to the first?

What could my sentence be [ 1 Answers ]

I tried to fill a prescription that was not mine, that turned out to be a forged document. I was refused, being told they were out of this medication at the time I left went home and never tried again to fill. Realized it was wrong momentary laps in judgment. I was charged with utter a forged...

What would be my sentence [ 2 Answers ]

I am 39 year old, leaving in canada on visa. Caught for shoplifting charged with Theft under $5000. On the day of my first appearance in court I am going to plead guilty... My visa will exp in 3 months. This is my first offence and I am very regret for the same. Want to know what type of sentence...

View more questions Search