Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2012, 12:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by purple338 View Post
    She said there are no jobs.she also said fine i will sleep at home!even though everyone sleepsout!

How did you respond? She's playing passive/aggressive.
    Maria1323 Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Oct 3, 2012, 01:07 PM
    I see how that's hard, but the thing is that she's used to being on her own now, so sleeping with her boyfriend is totally normal.
    Yelling at her or telling her she can't is going to make her distant, and she'll just go somewhere else to do it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 3, 2012, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria1323 View Post
    I see how that's hard, but the thing is that she's used to being on her own now, so sleeping with her bf is totally normal.
    Yelling at her or telling her she can't is going to make her distant, and she'll just go somewhere else to do it.
    She's NOT used to being on her own. Her parents pay for everything.
    Maria1323 Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Oct 3, 2012, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    She's NOT used to being on her own. Her parents pay for everything.
    I mean she's used to being "alone". For a 21 year old, that's "on your own" lol.
    She's used to staying up as late as she wants, she's used to not having to follow mom and dad's rules, and she's used to seeing her boyfriend.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 3, 2012, 01:16 PM
    I mean she's used to being "alone". For a 21 year old, that's "on your own" lol.
    She's used to staying up as late as she wants, she's used to not having to follow mom and dad's rules, and she's used to seeing her boyfriend.
    And thus, she needs to be in charge of her financial life too.
    purple338 Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Oct 3, 2012, 05:03 PM
    See that's what she tells me.she has a hard time coming home because she does what she wants at school.when she comes home yes she is expected to act like our dght. Not a college student.I also have a 17 year old dght. That my 21 year old is upsetting by all of this.my 21 year old states I am unreasonable.at home its attitude then back at school its tears.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 3, 2012, 05:10 PM
    See thats what she tells me.she has a hard time coming home because she does what she wants at school.when she comes home yes she is expected to act like our dght. Not a college student.i also have a 17 year old dght. That my 21 year old is upsetting by all of this.my 21 year old states i am unreasonable.at home its attitude then back at school its tears.
    I went to college and managed to be a daughter at home and a student at school. Of course, back then we didn't sleep with boyfriends.

Since she wants to be an independent adult and no longer a daughter, time for her to be totally responsible for herself.

Oct 3, 2012, 05:30 PM
    She making me the bad guy saying you don't want me to be happy you want me to break up with him.I told her that's not true but he is 4 years older than you he is not a 21 year old student like you.trying to get through to a 21 year old is getting harder.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 3, 2012, 05:38 PM
    She making me the bad guy saying you dont want me to be happy you want me to break up with him.i told her thats not true but he is 4 years older than you he is not a 21 year old student like you.trying to get through to a 21 year old is getting harder.
    And happy is what?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 3, 2012, 05:40 PM
    You are arguing each issue with us, instead of the big picture. You are half the problem (not meant to be critical, just an observation) by giving in to all her arguments. You also are getting sidetracked into the age of her boyfriend, and this is just going to go nowhere.

Make a list of what you spend on her in a given month. After giving a short lecture on how taking on financial responsibility is for her own good, go over the list with her and tell her to cut 20% a month for the next 3 months. Don't mention how much time she spends with her boyfriend, or any side topics. This is all about money and enabling and taking advantage and showing no appreciation.

Oct 3, 2012, 05:55 PM
    The showing no of no respect I think is the bigger slap in the face.I just didn't sleep at my boyfriends house I had to wait to we were married because it was what my father said.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 3, 2012, 06:30 PM
    The showing no of no respect i think is the bigger slap in the face.i just didnt sleep at my boyfriends house i had to wait to we were married because it was what my father said.
    Yes - didn't we all.

Sidetracking again. Sit her down and stay on the subject of financial responsibility and what is done under the roof YOU pay for. Try to keep the emotions about lack of respect out of it or you won't get anywhere. That has to happen as a result of what she learns she is expected to do. Be clear, be exact, and don't give in once you do it.
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2012, 06:35 AM
    I see how that's hard, but the thing is that she's used to being on her own now, so sleeping with her bf is totally normal.

Where do you read that she's on her own?

EDIT: When you say "on her own," you don't think supporting herself is necessary.

And to the OP - I would stop arguing with her and defending yourself to her and/or us. These would be the new rules. Follow them or sink.

She continues to turn this passive/aggressive ("sigh, well, I guess you want me to break up with Bozo") and avoid the issues. And you are allowing it.
    saltlifek Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Oct 6, 2012, 12:25 PM
    She's 21, let her be.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2012, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by saltlifek View Post
    She's 21, let her be.
    It's not that easy. Mother supports her financially in every way. Of course, if the young woman totally supported herself, I'd agree with you.
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2012, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by saltlifek View Post
    She's 21, let her be.

Does "let he be" mean to stop supporting her and let her sink or swim OR do nothing and live with things the way they are OR something else?

Oct 6, 2012, 07:41 PM
    Colleges require the parents tax info. Each year for some financial aide.parents are responsible to do this until age 24.so this let it be isn't working for me. If the school wants my money then its my rules. Which includes good grades.I hope everyone giving advice has gone through this in some way.I mean with young adults and that you are mothers.its not easy.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 6, 2012, 07:50 PM
    They require you tax info, but they don't require that YOU pay the tuition. Yes, I'm going through that right now and my 18 year old daughter is paying her own way. I will only provide $2000 per semester and she knew this in advance of applying to a college where she could not stay at home.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 6, 2012, 08:38 PM
    Let's get down to the nitty gritty. What are you willing to do? I hear a lot of excuses, a lot of wishy washy, coming from you. I'm betting your daughter knows this, and that's why she can push your buttons so easily.

She's 21, she's not 11. You are not responsible to support her anymore. She's an adult, and if she wants to live her own life, sleep with her boyfriend, and not obey rules at home, then she can be responsible for her own expenses, like every adult has to do.

She doesn't need a cell phone, that's a luxury, so turn the bill over to her. If she can't pay it, then that's on her. She doesn't need a car, she can take the bus, that's what unemployed people do. So stop paying for her car, let her get a job if she wants to keep it.

If she's not willing to follow the rules when you're supporting her, then let her make her own rules, but on your terms. You do not need to give her everything she wants. She's a spoiled little princess, and that's why she's acting this way. It's time to cut the apron strings and let princess figure out what the real world is all about.
    StanMarsh Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 6, 2012, 10:44 PM
    First of all, I think you should stop being so generous. I don't really think you're "enabling" because what are you enabling her to do? NOT visit with you? She could decide she doesn't want to see you that much whether you pay her bills or not. Secondly, accept the fact that she doesn't want to see you as often as you want to see her. Just because you pay all her expenses doesn't mean you own her time. You can't buy love. She just is not at a place in her life right now where she needs you emotionally (obviously she needs your financial assistance). You should be happy about that. Life is good for her, she's happy and she doesn't need you to comfort her. Perhaps things won't be so easy if you stop footing the bill but I don't think you have a right to be upset that she's not head over heels for you JUST because you fund her entire life.
    Think about it like this... a girl has a crush on a boy and offers to do his homework and his reports and for that he gets A's in his classes. She's expecting him to ask her to prom but he doesn't feel that way about her. Does she have a right to demand he take her? She was the one who let herself be used. You're the girl. You're being used but you can't make demands on your daughters time. Just cut her off, or cut back. She might go a long time without seeing you at all (after all, the 2 nights you do get from her might simply be out of obligation and guilt), but she won't feel like she owes you something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

19 year old "sleeping"at boyfriends house [ 5 Answers ]

My 19 year old daughter wants to come home from college but wants to sleep at her boyfriends place. The boyfriends parents do not know they are together. He is 17. His parents forbid him to see her. I also have a 13 year old boy at home Any advice?

Daughter sleeping with dad [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if it is against the law for my three year old to sleep in the same bed with her dad and his girlfriend on her weekends at his house. I have big concerns about this and the dad thinks I am asking too much for this not to happen.

Kicking out boyfriends daughter [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone, sorry but I'm knew to this so please bear with me. I own a house in my name only, my boyfriend lives with me. Recently his 25 year old daughter moved in and it's been awful ever sense! We laid down some house hold rules and she hasn't followed any of them. One was she had to get a...

View more questions Search