Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DerrickB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2012, 05:55 PM
    Breach of lease forced move
    My cousin lives in ga in a town home. She has a dog which is not on the lease (breach of lease). Her fiancé has decided to cheat on her and kicked her out by stating she has the dog, which caused er to have a breach of lease. Now he gave her 10 days to get her stuff out and changed the locks so she cannot enter. And refuses to let her get her stuff. I know there are laws in ga that state u have to give someone 30 days. But with the breach is that still in effect? She needs to get her stuff.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2012, 05:59 PM
    He has to have her properly served and properly evicted according to the laws of the state... and according to what you said that wasn't done.

Once the breach happens... the eviction process can be pushed... but like I said... it HAS to comply with local eviction laws.

http://www.consumer-sos.com/Georgia/.../evictions.htm
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 06:01 PM
    Tell her to call the police. He has illegally evicted her. He has to let her back in and follow the laws for eviction. But she has to put the dog somewhere else. She can't bring the dog back in with her.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DerrickB View Post
    My cousin lives in ga in a town home. She has a dog which is not on the lease (breach of lease). Her fiancé has decided to cheat on her and kicked her out by stating she has the dog, which caused er to have a breach of lease. Now he gave her 10 days to get her stuff out and changed the locks so she cannot enter. And refuses to let her get her stuff. I know there are laws in ga that state u have to give someone 30 days. But with the breach is that still in effect?? She needs to get her stuff.
    She is leasing the town home from her fiancé? Unless he is the lessor, he cannot evict her pursuant to the terms of the lease (even including a no-dog provision). Only her landlord can do that.

If she is a sub-tenant from her (former, I expect) fiancé, he cannot oust her by changing the locks. He would have to get a court order of eviction, after first giving her the proper notice (30-days probably).

Yes, I believe 30-day notice is required before a landlord in Georgia can evict a tenant for breach of a lease.

If, on the other hand, she has voluntarily left the premises, she has waived her right to due notice.

If he is refusing to let her get her stuff she should contact the police.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 06:21 PM
    Clear things up for us. Whose name is on the lease and who is doing the leasing/owner?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 1, 2012, 06:25 PM
    kicked her out by stating she has the dog, which caused er to have a breach of lease
    This confuses me. How did he kick her out? Did he just say; 'you have a dog and that breaches the lease so get out"? Who does she have a lease with?

But, as the others noted a lockout is usually illegal. On the other hand, if she voluntarily left and then he changed the locks, that may be a different story. At any rate he can't keep her stuff, the police will force him to let her get her stuff.

But the whole story needs to be clarified to know what her rights are.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 06:31 PM
    Agree, if she is on the lease, he can not kick her out at all.

If she is not on the lease, the dog makes him in violation of the lease he has not her.

But if she is not on the lease, he has to give her 30 days notice and if she does not move file for the eviction though the courts. The local police should force him to let her back in, or come if she goes there when he is home and force him to at least allow her to get her property.

*** This is if she has not waited to long, she needs to do this right away after being locked out
    DerrickB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2012, 06:56 PM
    To clarify. Yes they are both on the lease. No she did not leave voluntarily the locks where changed while she was away. Also I want to add to everyone thank you so much for your fast responses.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 07:10 PM
    If she is on the lease then her ex does not have the right to kick her out. Only the landlord can evict her, and only if she fails to remove the dog after the landlord gives her written notice to do so. Usually notice like that must be a minimum of 10 days.

If the landlord hasn't given her a violation notice then she can have the police force her ex to let her back into the townhouse WITH the dog. However the landlord could give her a notice at any time to remove the dog.

Since she is on the lease, make sure she knows that if she moves out she is still responsible for her share of the rent until the lease ends. She will have to reach some kind of agreement with her landlord to let her out of the lease if she wants to avoid being responsible for the rent.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2012, 02:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DerrickB View Post
    To clarify. Yes they are both on the lease. No she did not leave voluntarily the locks where changed while she was away. Also I want to add to everyone thank you so much for your fast responses.
    This still leaves gaps. You need to specifically clarify this statement:
    kicked her out by stating she has the dog, which caused er to have a breach of lease
    What does this mean exactly. If they are both on the lease, did he report the dog to the landlord? Did the landlord take any action? Who changed the locks? The boyfriend or the landlord? When we ask for more info please answer ALL questions.

How long ago did this happen?

But as Lisa said, he cannot take any action to force her out. Only the landlord can. On the other hand, since he is not the landlord, she may not be able to sue him for constructive eviction. This now becomes a domestic case.

Finally, what does she want to do? As Lisa said she is still responsible for the rent. Does she just want to get her things and move on?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it a breach of lease if landlord can't move you in on move in date? [ 5 Answers ]

I signed a lease to move in on July 1st, and today, June 27th, he calls me and tells me I won't be able to move in until at least July 4th. I have already paid him the deposit, and can't stay at my current place past the first without paying an additional months rent. I also have items I purchased...

House was not ready at move in Date: Breach of Lease? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a college town where leases are done on a quarterly (3 month) basis. In September of '08, five friends and I found a place we wanted to live. We looked at the house and it was in fine condition, but this was hard to determine since the house was already occupied by other students. We paid...

Landlord may sue for breach of lease, evnethough he asked us to move. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions. My husband and I are dealing with a situation with a former landlord. The landlord told us he wanted us to move out two months before our lease was up. It actually worked in our best interest to do so. We found a new house and told the...

Landlord is selling duplex, can we be forced to move before lease expires? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Our landlord is selling the duplex we're renting from him. He says "the new owner would have to stick to the terms of our lease until it expires." I was reviewing our lease, and this is what is says: "Landlord demises the above premises for a term of one year commencing March...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

View more questions Search