Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cortexans Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2012, 04:06 PM
    Electrical - Main breaker panel vs subpanel grounding
    I have seen several question like the one I am about to ask but I am still not clear on a requirement for grounding bar from neutral to ground (issue on classification of subpanel vs main panel or service panel).

The power company has just set a new pole for my ranch in Texas. The power lines goe to a meter then to a 200 amp breaker box. It has a 200amp main breaker with 6 slots for breakers (Siemens brand). The neutral & ground are both connected to same lug bar. There is only one bar for the ground & neutral. A bare ground goes out the box and into the ground (attached to the pole & another ground coming off the main pole). I plan to come off this panel to a new home about 150' away and install a main breaker box in the house. Another 200amp box with ~40 slots.

Question - Should the neutral & ground be "connected" by a bar in the house breaker box? (Subpanel issue or not?) Should I still come off the ground bar and run to grounding rod outside of the house?

Finally could you try to explain just why it’s safer which everyway you suggest.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2012, 02:51 AM
    You will need a 4 wire feeder from the meter/panel to the panel in the home.

In the home panel the neutral bar must remain insulated and isolated from ground, do not install the jumper or green screw to connect the neutral to the panel box.

You will need an accessory equipment ground bar bolted to the metal panel box with machine thread screws. This will be for all bare and green grounds.

You will need to ground this bar with a #6 copper wire to at least one ground rod at the home. And connect any metal water pipe to this equipment ground bar with a #6 copper.
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Oct 7, 2012, 07:06 PM
    In some localities you are also required to bond the gas line as well as the water lines as well as any rebar that is turned up at the panel from the building foundation.
    The UBC (building code) says that the General Contractor shall stub up a piece of rebar, The electrical code says you have to bond to it if it is available.

All this is so there is no difference of potential between any ground paths, all ground rods must be connected/bonded to each other too.

If you have animals in a barn with a concrete floor you should have a "ground plane" setup also, for the protection of livestock

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can u keep main breaker of an electrical panel in a washroom [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there.. I have finished basement where an electrical panel is in the washroom.now we come to now that we have to relocate the panel can we do it?? and still can we keep the main breaker in the washroom??

Main Panel and Subpanel [ 3 Answers ]

I'm currently renovating an outdated kitchen and my electrican wants to create a subpanel to house all of the Kitchen circuits. I currently have a 100 AMP Main Panel, which my electrician wants to hook up a 125 AMP Panel as a sub panel. I was concerned that the sub panel is 125 AMP and is 25 AMP...

Convert Main Panel to Subpanel? [ 3 Answers ]

After rough-wiring my old house to a new 200 amp Main Panel (wired-in but not yet connected to the service line and still using the original 100 amp fuse-type panel) I've decided to build a major addition that makes the originally planned service entrance a poor location. Question: Can I...

Main panel as subpanel [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I stumbled across your forum and found a question that was close to mine, but have a more detailed query. I am wiring a shop/apartment. The building has a 200 amp service panel. The main loads (a/c, range) and dedicated loads (fridge, smoke detectors, etc) are branch circuits on the main...

Subpanel or main service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I want to put a subpanel in my shop, and was wondering if a main service panel that they sell at say Home Depot is the same thing as a subpanel? I have a 200 amp service to my house, and want to put a 100 amp subpanel in my shop. Does the term "subpanel" just mean that it is wired off the...

View more questions Search