Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SHeller Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2012, 11:23 AM
    How do you remove stain from a wood door
    Help ! I hired a professional ( or thought I did... recommended from Angie's List ) to stain my new Wood Doors. He stained the exterior a different color (lighter) than the interior side of the door. The door is an expensive Wood Door, (Mahogany.Wood) how can I fix it without ruining the Door or the Wood ? The stain is MInwax Wood Finish (Colonial Maple - exterior side) and Miniwax Wood Finish (Sedona Red - interior side)

Ready to cry in NY !
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 1, 2012, 12:29 PM
    It is extremely difficult to remove stain, which soaks into the grain.

What was your contract or agreement for? You had to have discussed colors and finish coats.
    Do you want both colors gone, done over, what?
    Did he polyurethane the exterior, after staining? Was it a stain only, or a stain mixed with some sealer like poly?
    Is the mahogany solid or veneer?

Oct 1, 2012, 12:59 PM
    Yes, there was a contract for 8 doors. 7 of the doors (exterior/interior) were to be stain with the Colonial Maple color, the 8th Door (Front) was to be stained a different color (Sedona Red). This was all written and I discussed it several times, the last time was the morning that the work started. They made a mistake, and stained the exterior of the Front Door Colonial Maple and the interior Sedona Red. I want the Door (exterior and Interior) to be the same color, not too different colors ! I believe that it would be easier to restain the door the darker color, so I will stay will the Sedona Red that is on the interior and just re-do the exterior.

I believe that the Door is a solid Mahogany and not veneer ( it is a pella wood door and was expensive). It was Minwax Wood Finish (stain only) and he was supposed to put 2-3 coats of poly on after staining.

Ok... the guy made a mistake, but what really irks me, is that he is trying to tell me that it is the same color, the exterior just appear lighter because he put a coat of poly on it.. gimme a break!!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 1, 2012, 03:14 PM
    Once he put poly on it, the poly has to be stripped, and that isn't easy if it's a patterned door. That's probably why he's trying to say it's the same... good grief.
    If you haven't paid, don't pay until he strips off the poly and stains over the light stain. Be forewarned that it may look awful, because it will be so hard to get the wood stripped evenly. And you don't want to dip a door.
    Personally I would negotiate a huge reduction in price. I wouldn't have stained mahogany, a wood that shows it's beautiful color and grain with a clear coat. Poly actually darkens with age, and certainly didn't lighten the part that has the wrong stain.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2012, 03:17 PM
    I'm betting its Veneer. Solid wood in not terribly stable and prone to warping or cracking in a door. A good quality plywood core is both more stable and stronger. Meaning it doesn't swell as much during humid periods too.

Oct 2, 2012, 08:21 AM
    Thanks for the advise. I am regretting not having the manufacturer finish the door and 2) going with a stain. Yes, I probably should have kept it natural. Except a couple of people (including the contractor) told me to stain, because natural/light would show dirt. And no, I haven't paid him yet, so we we have to see how everything turns out.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2012, 09:27 AM
    So you feel a little better... I don't think anyone here hasn't made an expensive mistake at least a few times... myself included.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remove stain drips from wood [ 0 Answers ]

I unfortunately did not read how to stain my nicely sanded pine wood before I attempted to stain it. No good. Now I have stain drips from when I did one side and it dripped onto the other side. I stained saddle racks which are triangular in shape.

How to remove excess wood stain [ 1 Answers ]

Pine table top, well sanded, 3rd coat of stain remains sticky after greater than 12 hours

Remove freshly applied wood stain from hardwood doors? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I recently applied a coat of a wood stain to one new hardwood door, I am not happy with the colour match which is far darker than my skirtings and surrounds. Can anyone give me some advice on how to remove the stain and can I use turps to do this or are there other products that are better...

How do I remove wood stain? [ 5 Answers ]

I have stained a door with a water based wood stain and it looks terrible :eek: can anyone tell me to remove it please??

How do I remove stain from wood doors [ 1 Answers ]

I have stained a solid pine fir door with mimawax stain and have blotches. How do I even out my on these doors?

View more questions Search