Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephanywhit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2012, 06:22 PM
    Deceased father and support
    Hello my name is Stephany I'm 23 years old my father has pasted away but he still owes a lot in child support. So my question is am I still in titled to that money still owed? And if so how do I obtain this money?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 29, 2012, 08:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanywhit View Post
    Hello my name is Stephany im 23 years old my father has pasted away but he still owes alot in child support. So my question is am I still in titled to that money still owed? and if so how do I obtain this money?
    The person, your mom or whoever, would have been owed the child support, not you. Therefore no, you are not entitled to the money your father owed your custodian. His estate would owe it to that person now. Is there a probate estate?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 30, 2012, 07:57 AM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on another thread. This can lead to confusion. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

I still in titled to that money still owed?
    You were never entitled to that money. The person entitled to it was and is your custodial parent. The arrears are a debt on his estate. So whoever was awarded the support by a court can file a claim against his estate for the amount in arrears. If there is any money in the estate to pay it, then the custodial parent will get whatever is available. What that parent does with it is up to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I contact my deceased father? [ 7 Answers ]

My father died of a heart attack when my mom was 7 months pregnant with me. This past weekend my sister-in-law, her brother, cousin and I were playing with a Ouiji board. (I know that it is very dangerous and I refused to do it in my home or anywhere around my child) We were trying to contact my...

Deceased father [ 12 Answers ]

My fiancé passed away May 28 2009 I gave birth to our son June 17 2009 I had to get a paternity test done using his daughter from a previous marriage now I don't know what to do from here to have him put on the birth certificate can someone please explain the next steps to take

Deceased father received disabilty and owes back child support. Will I get any money? [ 2 Answers ]

My grown children's father owed over $38,000.00 in back child support. I just found out the he was receiving disability payments before he passed away about 2 weeks ago. I know he did not have a will nor did he have any money. Will I ever see any of this back owed child support? Will social...

Bio father is deceased. Father listed fled. Husband wants his name put on & to adpt [ 4 Answers ]

"I was 5 months pregnant when I met a man (obviously not the father), and started dating him. He wanted to marry me & raise the baby as it were his own. I married him right before the baby was born. The bio father wanted nothing to do with either of us and came to find out that he had another baby...

Paternity for deceased father [ 1 Answers ]

The father of my child died before she was born.. we were not married and his family is not cooperating.. how do I get a hold of his dna which is on file at the medical examiners office for dna testing?

View more questions Search