Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ilmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2012, 10:43 PM
    My daughter's legal father (not biological) and I split up, now I want custody. Help!
    My daughter is 4 years old and I live in Illinois. When I first found out I was pregnant I assumed it was with the legal father who signed her birth certificate. He has recently told me he got a paternity test saying she was not his (which blew my mind) but decided not to take it to court because of the expenses. He has been nothing short of terrible and disrespectful to me and I don't want my daughter thinking that's the way a man should treat a woman. He is basically a good dad, but he uses my daughter to manipulate me and is not a stable, good person outside of that. I'm going to try and talk to the only other person that could be her father and I would like custody of my daughter. The only issue I'm worried about is that her legal father had been raising her with me until I moved out and we started splitting time with her. If he's not the bio dad does that mean I will have a lot to fight against for custody?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 30, 2012, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmom View Post
    ... If he's not the bio dad does that mean I will have a lot to fight against for custody?
    Are you asking whether the possible absence of biological paternity will make custody litigation easier for you? Possibly.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 30, 2012, 05:53 AM
    Since he signed the birth certificate it appears it is to late for a challenge. There would have to be other mitigating circumstances that would cause a challenge.

The document that is often signed at the hospital is called a “voluntary acknowledgment of parentage.” Once a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity is signed and properly notarized, this document is virtually the same as a decision (adjudication) of paternity. An individual who signs such a document has only sixty days to rescind the document. Once more than sixty days have passed it may be impossible to challenge the document.

Ref:

The Gitlin Law Firm - Woodstock, Illinois -- Paternity Q&A
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 30, 2012, 08:44 AM
    Califdad gave you a good link. So before you contact the other possible father, I would strongly suggest you contact a local Family Law attorney. Right now it appears the legal father will remain the legal father, and therefore be entitled to partial custody and visitation.

Also that may be why he didn't challenge it when he had the test done. The legal father may have consulted an attorney and told it was too late to challenge it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for my daughter's biological father [ 8 Answers ]

In 1970 I met an American who called himself Driskill,although I believe his true name to be Clyde Lile Driskill . I think he was from Fredericksburg, Virginia. The last I heard he was in Pineland, Florida. I would be very glad to have any information concerning him :) Kerry Brown

If my daughter's biological father is not around does he still have rights? [ 8 Answers ]

OK. So I have been dating my fiancée alost a full year now and when we first started dating she found out she was pregnant by her ex. During this time he tells her he wants nothing to do with her or the baby. Our daugther was recently born June 25 2011 and will be a week old this Saturday. Her...

Can a legal father get joint custody if the biological parents are married? [ 3 Answers ]

When I got married we weren't sure who's baby I was carrying but my ex married me anyway. It was a question mark since day one and the bio dad was aware of the situation. When my son was 2.5 we did a DNA test w/my now exhusband and found out he wasn't the bio dad. My ex was a very controlling and...

Can my daughter's biological father force me to let him see her? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter was born in 2009, I know who her father is but I did not have his name put on the birth certificate because he had expressed no interest in acting as a father. In fact, previously he had always said if I got pregnant he would want me to get an abortion. I refused to consider that so now...

My daughter's biological father abandoned her [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter is 8 years old and lives with my husband and I and her younger brother and has for about 5 1/2 years now. We have supported her without any help from her biological father. He took off to NY after we split up when she was 3 1/2. When she was 4 I took him to mediation to try to establish...

View more questions Search