Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tashidelek Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Letters of introduction
    Hi,
    I am sending out letters to introduce myself to potential employers. Does anyone know where I can get templates without having to purchase anything?
    Thanks
    Wes
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Mar 10, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Here is one I used after looking over several of those templates you mentioned. I found those templates to be very bland and unappealing. They sounded like templates. LOL This one worked very well for me but then again the field I was applying in tends to honor ingenity and uniqueness... maybe you could modify it to suit your field?

Dear Sir or Madam,

This letter is written as a straight-forward, bold-faced attempt at gaining an interview with you. I am very experienced in the graphic design and commercial printing arena and am looking to expand my environment and rev up my creative engines - in short, I am willing to do what it takes for a major change.

Frankly, I don't have a very clear idea of where I might fit in the advertising field just yet. If you do, I am all ears. Enclosed is my resume for your perusal. If you think further discussion is warranted, I am available for an interview at any time.

With sincere regards,
    tashidelek Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 16, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Thanks chap.
    All the best
    dflak Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Mar 19, 2007, 02:07 PM
    There really isn't a good clean template for an introductory letter. The introductory letter should whet the reader's appetite and have them come back for more (I.e. read your resume). Personally, I write a fresh resume for every job to which I apply. However, one of the purposes of a cover letter is to highlight the points on your resume that are most applicable to the job for which you are applying.

First of all there is the awkward matter of the salutation. “Dear Sir and/or Madam as the case may be.” Just doesn't seem to get it.

If you have a name, use it. Dear Robin Jones works just fine regardless of which rest room Robin normally uses.

If you don't have a name, try using the position, “Dear Human Resources Manager,” “Dear Hiring Manager,” “Dear Director of Engineering” will work in the appropriate situation.

If the introductory letter is in response to an ad, use something like:

I am interested in the XXX position posted on <date> in <paper name or board>

I am a <industry name> professional with XXX years' experience in the following areas:
    &#183; <bullet 1>
    &#183; <bullet 2>
    &#183; <bullet 3>

Don't admit to more than 15 years' experience. If you have 30 years' experience, then you have at least 15 years' experience. Most jobs do not require even as much as 10 years of experience, and what you did more than 15 years ago is most likely obsolete anyway. So don't admit to being a geriatric case. If they like your cover letter they'll be impressed enough to read the resume for your merits and not your age.

Unless there is some compelling reason, I also chop off my resume at about 15 years. This is not “dummying down” the resume, it's just putting in only the relevant facts.

If the letter is in response to an ad, then one technique that works sometimes is a side-by-side comparison of what they want, and what you did. For example, the ad may state that experience with MS-Excel and customer contact is required.

You need: ----- I did
    MS-Access ----- Set up weekly spreadsheets for plant operatins
    Customer Contact ----- Made client presentations with marketing staff.

If you can pull off a side-by-side comparison it's great. Otherwise talk about the things you did that are applicable to the job and that make you valuable to the company, (E.g. “I reduced turn-around times on report production by 75%.” “I increased sales by 32% in one year.” “I cut the error rate in customer billing by 45%.”) Be specific if you can. Don't tell them how you did these wonderful things in the cover letter. Let them read about it in the resume.

I happen to have my own web site in which I post my past work experience in a more narrative (and hopefully more humorous) way. So I plug it. “If you want additional information about my qualifications check out my web site at www.xxx.com or call me at (555) 555-1212. People have read my web site, but I am not sure if it's before or after they decided to call me.

As a variation on this theme, if you have a telephone number, try something like the following, “I am interested in discussing this position with you. If it is convenient, I will call you next Tuesday at 2 PM.” This way when you call Robin Jones and get the assistant, you can honestly answer that, yes, Robin is expecting my call.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thank you letters to cutomers [ 2 Answers ]

Tell me where I can find sample of thank you letters which I have to send to my good customers

Letters to send to judge [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancé was extrodited to the cincinnati, Ohio jail system for violating probation. His boss and myself have written letters that we would like to mail to the courts. Do I have to get the specific judge for his case and mail the letters to him or can I just send the letters to the court in...

Arabic Letters [ 3 Answers ]

What are the Arabic letters and how do I pronounce them and write them?

Multiple numbers and Letters [ 1 Answers ]

I have Windows XP and when I go to miniclips.com, the home page is full of Huge blue numbers and letters and looks like 5 or 6 pages of info is jumbled together. I asked someone to see if the miniclip home page looked the same to them and they checked and said it looked OK. What could be my...

Dispute Letters [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone point me to a good dispute letter to CA's? One that is in line with the system so I can try to get some answers. I know some of these collectors don't have the original docs to prove the account. Do they have to have the original contract where I signed? Also I was told in the state...

View more questions Search