Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    the.carpenter Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2012, 02:48 PM
    Flying red ants ?
    HELP ME! WHAT ARE THESE ? I was walking through my yard today when I noticed a movement on the ground in the grass. Upon looking I see what seems like a swarm of red ants with wings. They are a little bigger than the common brown ant. Looking I saw 3 areas/patches about 1 1/2 feet round. It seemed like they were all trying to get to the top of the blades of a different type of grass. All 3 were on the same type of grass also! I did not look for more but I have a big yard! I would think yes!? Have seen termites before and these are not termites, or fruit flies. Have children and worry about stepping on them! When I went close some flew around so I didn't get close except the 1st look ! Any help is a thanks!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2012, 06:42 PM
    Picture would sure help!

Sep 29, 2012, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Picture would sure help!
    Hello ma0641 ! I did take pix and I grabbed a few also, but looks like only grass! Maybe zoom ? I can't attach pix here. Don't know how!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 29, 2012, 08:11 PM
    A picture and a general location as there are usually specific bugs/insects for certain locations.

Sep 30, 2012, 03:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    A picture and a general location as there are usually specific bugs/insects for certain locations.
    I'll try to give a multiple triangulation?
    The location is about 50 ft from road,a secondary, fairly traveled road and coal trucks throughout daily. About 10 ft from a field of cut hay left to lay not bailed for years. About 30 ft from 1 of 2 tall (60 ft ?) growing weeping willows. In front yard, grass cut regularly, but not pristine. A slow downward slope, about 75 paces from corner of house. This end of house which handles the drainages (gutters and basemt sump) into area before field. Time of day is about 5 pm. Rained 1 day past for 2 days off an on? Dogs don't use this part of yard. Deer have presence in our area. Ok think !
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 30, 2012, 03:44 AM
    This is a global website. Since there are different kinds of insects in different locations, it might help to know where you are.

Sep 30, 2012, 04:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    This is a global website. Since there are different kinds of insects in different locations, it might help to know where you are.
    Yes ! Sorry there. I'm in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area. North of pitt. Airport. East of east liverpool, Ohio
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2012, 03:00 PM
    Everything I read about flying red ants indicates they are fire ants. However, your location is pretty far north for them. Are they small and swarm when you kick the mound?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 30, 2012, 07:41 PM
    You answered my question with a little too much detail... lol. Pittsburgh would have been enough.

Anyway, I am more of a spider person as I have years of study involved with spiders but I will try to help. I did a search on flying ants and came up with a few things.

1) Flying ants are actually quite common. Seems that most ant species have a stage in their life cycle in which they can fly.

2) Flying ants are usually black although the also can be seen in red and brown.

3) Flying ants and termites are often mistaken for each other.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Oct 1, 2012, 10:39 AM
    Some species of ants or wasps do sting and/or bite. Without a picture, it is difficult to tell you what you have. Termites and fruit flies don't bite or sting, but of course, termites present a different problem.

In any case, what you are seeing is probably a temporary natural phenomenon. If they are ants, they are responding to some environmental stimuli - rain, heat, or day length, and are preparing to mate to create a new nest.

Teach your kids to stay away. Your dog should learn to stay away pretty quickly. Otherwise, the swarms should dissipate quickly. You do have the old nest to deal with, but whether it needs to be, and how to deal with it, will depend on what species you have.

Oct 4, 2012, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Everything I read about flying red ants indicates they are fire ants. However, your location is pretty far north for them. Are they small and swarm when you kick the mound?
    Ma0641 what about sweat bee's ? Showed my daughter an not a hesitation she said and they bite. When I saw they were on ground, not a mound. I think they would have went on my shoe an leg. I looked but cound't find them again the next day, and I cut grass yesterday. Hopefully they went back into the field?
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2012, 12:36 PM
    Sweat bees look like bees, they are fuzzy. I still lean toward fire ants. Get some liquid sevin. mix it in a 1 gallon milk jug and pour it on the area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Biting flying insect that seems to be more of a sting Invisible flying insect [ 11 Answers ]

This invisible flying insect has bitten me for several years. It is active more in the dark hours or not a too well lighted area. It is very active around my bed and under the covers. This insect bites me in other location other than in my house. It bites me mostly out of my eye sight alignment...

Ants, and plants, any ground cover ants don't like? [ 8 Answers ]

We have major problem with small sugar ants. Is there any kind of ground cover or other plants that ants don't like that we could plant. We spray every year. Does not seem to do any good. We end up with them in our house. Going crazy. Help please, any ?

What kind of ants is red an has black stripes and is with a solid body? [ 11 Answers ]

What kind of ant is red with black stripes with a solid body,about a quarter inch in diameter and about half inch long?

Looking for name of fiction book about ants written as if ants had personalities. [ 1 Answers ]

I read a book in a high school library between 1996 and 2001. It was a fictional book about ants. It was written in the ants perspective and I believe they were in central park in a tree stump. At the end of the book the reader finds out that the ants can communicate to humans above ground with...

Help With Ants [ 3 Answers ]

We live in a very sandy area and have lots of leaf cutter ants. (I'm not sure that is the correct name) The ants are red and have long spidery legs. They make trails when they are searching for whatever they are going to cut down. You may have a flower bed with beautiful flowers in it today and by...

View more questions Search