Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lasheytrey Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2012, 01:48 PM
    How many of you would borrow money from loan sharks if it was your last resort?
    You lost you job. Your family is starving. How would you get the money you need? Discuss.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 29, 2012, 01:50 PM
    Hunting, shooting and fishing, after all we started as hunter gatherers.
    It's amazing just how long you can live without money..
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 29, 2012, 01:53 PM
    I moved this to a discussion board.

I don't believe a loan shark would ever be a last resort. That would mean as much as 450% interest on money borrowed.

The reference desk at your local public library will give useful and helpful phone numbers and contact names to anyone in dire straits.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 29, 2012, 02:58 PM
    Let me be honest here... this is something very few people know...

Years ago, back in the 90's, my father was in bad financial shape. He knew someone that was doing loan sharking (long story that I won't get into, suffice it to say that dad just knew him and was not a criminal himself) and the guy offered him a loan. He was told not to worry about it as they were "friends"... Well, it came time to pay back and I have to say, the guy was decent for a short while, I guess because he knew my dad. After some time, it finally kicked in where he wanted his money and that was it. It's not as if my dad didn't pay him back, it's that my dad couldn't afford the ridiculous interest payments and couldn't keep up. Finally, he was threatened with violence. That's when he came to me about it and had to borrow money from me, and I was struggling at the time. How shameful... to borrow money from your own kid to avoid getting messed up because you took a loan from some unforgiving criminal.

Do you want that? I doubt it. There is always a better way... no matter what, anything is better than being put into that situation. Find an alternative.

Sep 30, 2012, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Hunting, shooting and fishing, after all we started as hunter gatherers.
    It's amazing just how long you can live without money..
    This is true. Something tells me 99.7% of people would not follow these wise words.

Great response.

Sep 30, 2012, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I moved this to a discussion board.

I don't believe a loan shark would ever be a last resort. That would mean as much as 450% interest on money borrowed.

The reference desk at your local public library will give useful and helpful phone numbers and contact names to anyone in dire straits.
    Sorry about that... this is my first time here.

In the UK, many loan sharks are charging people APR as high as 4,000%. It's crazy.

Sep 30, 2012, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Let me be honest here....this is something very few people know....

Years ago, back in the 90's, my father was in bad financial shape. He knew someone that was doing loan sharking (long story that I won't get into, suffice it to say that dad just knew him and was not a criminal himself) and the guy offered him a loan. He was told not to worry about it as they were "friends"...Well, it came time to pay back and I have to say, the guy was decent for a short while, I guess because he knew my dad. After some time, it finally kicked in where he wanted his money and that was it. It's not as if my dad didn't pay him back, it's that my dad couldn't afford the ridiculous interest payments and couldn't keep up. Finally, he was threatened with violence. That's when he came to me about it and had to borrow money from me, and I was struggling at the time. How shameful....to borrow money from your own kid to avoid getting messed up because you took a loan from some unforgiving criminal.

Do you want that? I doubt it. There is always a better way....no matter what, anything is better than being put into that situation. Find an alternative.

Wow, I'm sorry you had to go through so much. It's unfortunate that your Dad chose to borrow money from such a greedy person.

There's a site that is petitioning against loan sharks. I'm not sure how many sigs they have, but I signed it. It's called >Link Removed<
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 30, 2012, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lasheytrey View Post
    Sorry about that...this is my first time here.

In the UK, many loan sharks are charging people APR as high as 4,000%. It's crazy.
    Actually in the UK numerous LEGAL payday lenders are quoting rates in EXCESS of this. They even advertise this fact on prime time TV.

Loan sharks don't use published rates as they have NO need for them..

APR is merely a marketing and comparison tool that bears little resemblance to real life rates.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 30, 2012, 12:16 PM
    I don't click on very many links on public boards. This one looks suspect.

Many people are without jobs and they suffer but don't take out loans. I never cease to be amazed at how many people claim to be broke, penniless, starving. There are millions of people in the world who actually are starving, but they don't have internet, cell phones, TV, warmth, or even water to drink.
    You need to have water and not freeze first, food second. Those are the basic vital necessities.
    You lost your job and have a family - you take in paying boarders 2 to a room, you work at MacDonalds, you apply for food stamps, you move in with relatives, you sell most of what you own, and you buy NOTHING but what is absolutely vital.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 30, 2012, 01:32 PM
    What would I do? I'd sell my car, my husbands car, our tv's, our furniture, and whatever else I could get money for.

I've been there before. My dog was sick, he needed to go to the vet, so I sold some of my jewelry and worked delivering newspapers at 4am 7 days a week, then coming home, showering and going to my regular job for 8 hours. My husband did the same.

You do what you have to do. There's always a solution if you're willing to work hard enough.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loan terms changing after borrow is deceased [ 3 Answers ]

My grandmother recently passed away and my mother is handling her trust. She had a small home equity loan for about $12k with a NY Credit Union. About 6 months ago she paid a large portion on the loan and the credit union showed she was paid ahead until 2012. Now that she is deceased the credit...

Need to borrow money [ 9 Answers ]

I am in need to borrow 5k, but with my credit being so bad I don't quality from any reputable finance companies. Every time I apply online, I get these people from canada/florida who are a bunch of crooks and I'm embarrassed to say that I did get taken for for $1200. Anyway is there any reputable...

How to borrow money [ 11 Answers ]

I want to borrow money form someone , of course I have to do through a lawyer, right? Any way, when signing the papers I don't want this person to know my age, does the age has to be there on the paper? What info has to be there to be a good legal document that would give him assurance that I will...

View more questions Search