Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pd in full 4 me Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2012, 09:12 AM
    a college curiculum question
    My 19 yr old gndson has just started college for mechanics but now has realized he has a gift for counciling. Which is the better road for him to take? My suggestion is to finish out this year with mechanics so he can fix his own car & save money. Then consider a counciling career.
    We did the plusses & minuses. Mechanics=dirty, hard work, smell like oil/grease, hot in summer, cold in winter vs counciling=clean, airconditioning, no hard labor but have to deal with problems all day.
    It seems the pay is similar but the schooling is longer. What's people's take on this? Which road should he take?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 29, 2012, 09:20 AM
    He definitely will need to decide for himself. Obviously, the employment outlook for each career would be a big part of the decision. Some people prefer to work outdoors, others inside. It would depend on the type of counseling, also. There are school counselors, addictions, marriage, etc. He should speak to people in both fields before making a decision like this.

Sep 29, 2012, 10:22 AM
    Thank you teacherjenn4, this is what I told him too. He already looked up different levels of councilers & has a lot of time for consideration. Yes he will speak to people in both fields before making his final decision.
    His mom has sociapathic tendencies & has pushed everyone out of her life because of it. He is the only one still talking to her at this point & he says all the right things at the right times. It amazes me because he does this without having any book learning on it. He is a gift to our family & I think he will be very good in the Psychology field.
    Education Expert

Sep 29, 2012, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pd in full 4 me View Post
    thank you teacherjenn4, this is what I told him too. He already looked up different levels of councilers & has a lot of time for consideration. Yes he will speak to ppl in both fields b4 making his final decision.
    His mom has sociapathic tendencies & has pushed everyone out of her life because of it. He is the only one still talking to her at this point & he says all the right things at the right times. It amazes me because he does this without having any book learning on it. He is a gift to our family & I think he will be very good in the Psycology field.
    That's great! There is a lot of Math and Science involved in counseling, so from a teacher, make sure he is able to pass these types of courses.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 29, 2012, 10:39 AM
    You can get a master of arts in counseling and not have to take a lot of math and science (more humanities courses), and you can get a master of science with a strong background in math and science (stats, testing, human biology/chemistry and drug interactions). Even just a basic education and certificate from a community college for addictions counseling can jumpstart a counseling career.

Sep 29, 2012, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    That's great! There is a lot of Math and Science involved in counseling, so from a teacher, make sure he is able to pass these types of courses.
    Fortunatly he's very smart & should have been in the gifted program in his school. He was bored to death in regular classes. He doesn't have a strong point as most people do, he excels in everything he does & I'm so jealous of him. His biggest prblm is, as he says,"I don't like people." But I said that might be a good thing because then he won't get too involved in their issues & bring them home with him.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 29, 2012, 11:43 AM
    If he doesn't like people, counseling is NOT the career for him.
    Education Expert

Sep 29, 2012, 11:50 AM
    Fortunatly he's very smart & should have been in the gifted program in his school. He was bored to death in regular classes. He dosn't have a strong point as most ppl do, he excells in everything he does & I'm so jealous of him. His biggest prblm is, as he says,"I don't like people." But I said that might be a good thing because then he won't get too involved in their issues & bring them home with him.
    You need to be a people person for counseling!

Sep 29, 2012, 12:24 PM
    You need to be a people person for counseling!
    He doesn't hate people. He's super shy & doesn't know what to do/say around people he's not familiar with. He's the victim of the new generation who lives on the puter but has no social skills. He has a great comedic personality but only those closest to him get to experience it. I hope college will help that get better.
    Education Expert

Sep 29, 2012, 12:39 PM
    He dosn't hate ppl. He's super shy & dosn't know what to do/say around ppl he's not familiar with. He's the victim of the new generation who lives on the puter but has no social skills. He has a great comedic personality but only those closest to him get to experience it. I hope college will help that get better.
    I hope so, because patients will be strangers, at first.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 29, 2012, 12:52 PM
    You said earlier, His biggest prblm is, as he says,"I don't like people." And then you mentioned his comedic personality. I'm still leery of encouraging him to be a counselor. Comedy doesn't go over real well with emotionally and physically abused women and children, people with addictions, couples with marital problems, etc.

Has he ever taken an interest/career test or the Myers-Briggs test to find out his personality type?

Sep 30, 2012, 01:42 PM
    Thank you Wondergirl for your input. I think he'll know when & when not to interject any humor into the sessions. As I also said he's very smart & with all the schooling he'll get I'm sure he will be able to confine his humor when he's working. He does have a serious side too.
    Thanks also for the info about the career test. I will let him know about it. Interesting stuff Wondergirl your info was helpful.

Sep 30, 2012, 01:48 PM
    I hope so, because patients will be strangers, at first.
    Yes I realize that Teacherjenn4 but hopefully with all the schooling he'll get he'll be able to bond with people easier. I spend a lot of time with him & I think he'll be OK with this issue. He's grown a lot in just the past year.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 30, 2012, 01:50 PM
    Thanks also for the info about the career test. I will let him know about it. Interesting stuff Wondergirl ur info was helpful.
    His high school, college, or an area community college will give him an interest test and the Myers-Briggs for free plus information on how to interpret the results.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

College Algebra Question [ 1 Answers ]

The solutions to the equation 7x(exponent 2) x-30=0 are

On probation as of feb 1st I have question,can I leave state for a college visit ? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: HELP!! OK I've been placed on probation for the next 3 yrs of my life.this is my first offense.I'm 21.I am scheduled to go to Arizona in march for 3 days for college campus visits.I live in ny.What are my chances of getting to leave state?My probation officer said "it's going to be...

College student w/o w-2 but can I file tax to get college tuition credits back? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a college student with no job income(no W-2 form) but do have few dollars of interest earned from saving account(1099-INT form). I know I do not have to file tax return since the income is extremely low. But I heard if I file tax return then I can get few hundreds of college tuition...

College Credit for Interning Question [ 1 Answers ]

I live in California and I graduated from college last year. I want to apply for an internship in Boston, but they won't let me apply unless I can get college credit for the internship. I checked with my alma mater and they would charge $1620 to credit it. I don't have $1620 to pay for it. I tried...

College/degree question [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is a junior in HS and she is interested in pursuing a career in orthotics/prosthetics. We are trying to locate information on which colleges would be the best for her, to help her in this pursuit. Also, we need some help in determining what her degree should be in; we know there are few...

View more questions Search