Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Burtney_682 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Sep 28, 2012, 01:39 PM
    Interview for Human Resources Manager
    Hello!

I applied for a human resources clerk job. I had a phone interview today and he said that I would basically be the manager. Being responsible for background checks and basically everything involved with employees. This is for a home health care company. I have a bachelor's degree and my only experience has been in retail/ 6 months as an office receptionist. I need some tips! What do I say in the interview to give me an edge? The job post said that the salary would be 13/hour. Should I try to negotiate? Am I being offered a higher position than that salary was for? Honestly 13 is a lot better than the minimum wage I was making before, I can't help but worry that I'm selling myself short?

Thanks!
    Britt
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 28, 2012, 01:53 PM
    $13/hr is not a manager. You would be an HR clerk. Maybe your duties would include all things involving employees, but I doubt if you would have an decision making power.

Sep 28, 2012, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    $13/hr is not a manager. You would be an HR clerk. Maybe your duties would include all things involving employees, but I doubt if you would have an decision making power.
    Honestly I was just hoping I was being offered a higher position than what I applied for! Regardless, I hope that all their offers for advancement aren't empty promises. Is this a decent hourly rate for an entry level human resources clerk?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 28, 2012, 05:39 PM
    Yes for an entry level clerk it's a good salary. And it certainly sounds like there is room for advancement.

Oct 1, 2012, 08:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    yes for an entry level clerk its a good salary. And it certainly sounds like there is room for advancement.
    Thank you for the clarification! Do you have any tips on how I can translate my retail/office experience into something that will work for this job? I'm going over interview questions, but I'm falling a little short on that one.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Burtney_682 View Post
    Thank you for the clarification! Do you have any tips on how I can translate my retail/office experience into something that will work for this job? I'm going over interview questions, but I'm falling a little short on that one.
    Computer hardware and software?
    Data entry (WPM)?
    Customer contact?
    Staff relations?
    Problem solving?
    Telephone use?

Oct 1, 2012, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Computer hardware and software?
    Data entry (WPM)?
    Customer contact?
    Staff relations?
    Problem solving?
    Telephone use?
    Thanks! :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 11:24 PM
    Most likely this is a smaller company, you may be the entire HR staff, so they give it a "title" to make it sound better, often in companies when I could get no more money we would try and get a title, to make our jobs sound better to others.

Also some companies use "titles" for people who call and check references to make it appear a higher level person is on the phone.

But you are doing all the normal work of the clerk, and this is a average wage for that position, at least in the Atlanta area.

Oct 3, 2012, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Most likely this is a smaller company, you may be the entire HR staff, so they give it a "title" to make it sound better, often in companies when I could get no more money we would try and get a title, to make our jobs sound better to others.

Also some companies use "titles" for people who call and check references to make it appear a higher level person is on the phone.

But you are doing all the normal work of the clerk, and this is a average wage for that position, at least in the Atlanta area.
    You're right! If I get the job, it will be two other people and I at another location closer to where I am. Basically, I will be doing all of the HR paperwork and there are two other employees to help if needed.

I have a 2nd interview tomorrow with the owner of the company, which I'm hoping means that they will offer me the job. They also said that if I can handle the job after 6 months or so I'll be moved to salary.

I guess this question is a little early, but I feel like I will get this job. I've been looking on salary.com, it seems that the average salary for an entry level human resources clerk is 35,000. If I get the chance to negotiate my salary, any tips?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human resources [ 1 Answers ]

What are the roles of Human Resources manager in employee and industrial relationship with specific emphasis to the union and management relationship in an Organization?

Human Resources [ 7 Answers ]

Hello to you, and thanks again for taking the time to view and answer my questions - this is awsome!! I just found out I’m pregnant (Happy). I went through my employee handbook to find out what is said about maternity leave and to my surprise; there is little to nothing at all. My human...

View more questions Search