Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    majd jano Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2012, 10:21 AM
    Why my cat doesn't sit on my lab
    I have a cat its two month old I really love her but she never stay on my lab or play with me how can I make her love me :(
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 11:16 AM
    She's a kitten and hasn't learned yet that just sitting still can be nice. She wants to explore and figure out things, not just sit quietly. When she is a year or two old, she will like to sit on your lap and let you pet her.

Or try this -- have fun with the kitten by playing with her, crumpling up paper into a ball and letting her chase it when you throw it, tie a clothespin onto the end of a string and tie the string onto the end of a stick and dangle this over her head to leap up and grab at, cut cat-size holes in the sides of empty cardboard boxes and let her play in the boxes -- in other words, exercise her so she gets tired and she will probably nap on your lap.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 11:17 AM
    Hi Majd jano

At 2 months, the kitten may not be able to jump up on your lap yet... still a baby, really! In fact, you really shouldn't even have the kitten until just 8-10 weeks... should be with its mother up 'till then.

In terms of your questions, your cat doesn't play with you... you play with your cat! Here, get some string and just dangle it in front of your cat... he/she will respond quite playfully if you tease a little with the string. Drag the string across the kitten's face... should enjoy this and play back.

Later you can play games with flashlights, catnip balls, etc...

Give the kitten time to adjust to you and its new home. Clean the litter box, feed him/her regularly and sneak in a few treats now and then and this kitten will be what you want it to be soon enough! Remember to get regular checkups and shots to keep your pet as healthy and as happy as possible!

Good luck!

Mark
    Sovereignty Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2012, 06:38 AM
    Kittens that young generally have too much energy to stay that still for too long. Try different toys.
    What was the kittens home before like? The real problem with kittens that young is that you have no idea on the personality before hand (which is shelter or rescue group cats are so much better in this manner).
    Also how was the previous family with the kittens? If the kitten didn't get a lot of handling when young they do not learn to bond with humans very well. If the mother cat is human friendly this also helps with them being more friendly towards humans.
    The older a cat gets the harder it is for them to learn to like humans, but at 2 months (weaned and ready to be away from their Mother) they are all right to be adopted out (any younger is WAY too young) (2-3m months is about the time to get a new kitten rehomed).

Basiclly the kitten still has a lot of growing up to do. It may just be that your kitten isn't really a lap cat at all, we have one cat who loves to sit on my lap or my dad's lap (daddies boy) but mum is a no no (probably as the dog is usually there), we have others who love to rub against you but hate sitting on your lap or being picked up.

And remember to get your kitten its shots (They are a life saver!) Flea and worm your kitten (preferably with something that covers EVERYTHING, like ear mites (My mum runs a rescue group for cats)) (One that gets put on the back of the neck is the easiest to apply).

De-Sexing your kitten before it goes on heat (if a girl) or sexually active will help extend your cats life (also living indoors will extend a cats life for longer too). This can (or has) be done when a cat reaches 1kg (2.2 lb (according to my converter)) on an EMPTY stomach. Mother cats tend to die younger than female cats who have never had kittens. (And Female cats do not need to have a litter of kittens before they are de-sexed. That is just a really bad old wives tale. They don't care about that sort of thing. Cats tend to go on heat in early spring (which is why we have kittens in my home at the moment (Australia).
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 1, 2012, 08:01 AM
    Cats are opportunists. They love you when they want something. Plain and simple. If you want constant unconditional love, get a dog.
    My cat will occasionally sit on my lap (a lab is a kind of dog or short for laboratory). But if she doesn't like the way I pat her she jumps off. And that may vary. Cats like their cheeks rubbed and the back of their necks and aren't often very fond of being patted all the way down to their tail, I've found.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Cats aren't often very fond of being patted all the way down to their tail, I've found.
    I do TTouch's small circular motions all along the spine from the back of neck to tail. They love it!
    current pert

Oct 1, 2012, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I do TTouch's small circular motions all along the spine from the back of neck to tail. They love it!
    I agree. I was thinking of 'don't rub a cat the wrong way.' My cat lies on her side on the floor and I run my toes along her spine and she loves that.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 10:34 AM
    I agree. I was thinking of 'don't rub a cat the wrong way.' My cat lies on her side on the floor and I run my toes along her spine and she loves that.
    Do me next! *meow* *meow*
    current pert

Oct 1, 2012, 12:32 PM
    OK, I'll let you cut in line.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 12:49 PM
    OK, I'll let you cut in line.
    Be sure to pay special attention to the nape of my neck and my low back (L4 and L5).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

My lab is 11 month old lab is scared of the stairs [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 11 month old lab that is scared of the stairs the reason is he broke his leg on the stairs on my deck when he was 10 weeks old I have tried treats on each stair his favorite toy he will go up with a push on the butt but will not go down he even shakes when I carry him down the stairs to...

About a cat that recuses a girl cat from being married to a fat cat [ 3 Answers ]

Ok so I was watching this movie on the kids channel a long time ago and it was the movie I think disney but yes anyway, its about this very lovely white cat girl that is being forced to marry this fat rich cat, during this the sister or aunt of the lovely white cat lady gets a check from this...

Do I sit around for this? [ 13 Answers ]

Hmmmm... before I start, I think it's pretty obvious how this guy I'm dating must see me, but maybe I need someone else other than my friends to tell me how it is... I first met this guy at a bar... (should of known) and I was just about to leave because my friend was pretty drunk lol and I was...

View more questions Search