Ask
    santosh_udgirkar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 11:25 PM
    Tax filing jointly or separately?
    I am in USA since May 2006.
    My wife and kid are still in India.
    My wife does not work.
    Both of them are dependent on me.
    I am going to India on 15th March 2007 and I would be back to USA with my wife and kid on 7th April 2007.
    My wife and kid are coming for the first time to USA. So, they do not have ITIN or SSN.
    They were in India only throughout 2006.
    I am on H1-B and they are now coming on H4.
    Can I file my tax return for 2006 as married-filing jointly?
    If yes, how and when?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2007, 09:05 PM
    You can file jointly with your wife, if she chooses to be treated as a resident alien for all of 2006.

Not sure you can claim the child.
    santosh_udgirkar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 09:44 PM
    I did not get the meaning of "if she chooses to be treated as a resident alien for all of 2006". She was in India for all of 2006. How can we proceed with this?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Your wife's physical location is irrelevent; you can still file jointly with her regardless of where she is in the world.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file as Married filing Jointly or Separately, if my wife has not entered US. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi David, I thought I'd post in this topic because I have a case similar to that of Balajinaik. However the website doesn't let me continue in his post, so I have to start a new Thread. I have been on an H1B visa through 2006 and will be filing as a resident alien. I got married in India in...

2006 Tax - H1B Married Filing jointly, ITIN for H4 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am H1B holder working from July 2006. I am placed in client location in Illinois. But I was getting my paystub from California(Employer 1 - California Employer) till Nov 2006. And for December 2006 I got pay stub from Illinois(Employer 2 - Illinois Employer). I have got two W2 forms. My...

Married in 2006 - Tax Filing Jointly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Greatly appreciate if someone can provide me the procedure for filing federal taxes jointly. Got married in Aug. I am on H1 and my wife is on H4 Visa. Thanks, Sri

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

To file jointly or separately? Help needed please [ 1 Answers ]

Need help chosing best filing option for my wife and I. We live in NJ, I work in NYC, wife works in NJ. Is it better to file jointly or separately? NY taxes on NY income only, but does use total income (wife + mine) for rate base calculations. Wondering which filing options would be best... ...

View more questions Search