Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brookedeane7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 10:28 PM
    Tenant obligations in New Jersey?
    I am renting a private house in New Jersey. Since the temperature has dropped drastically, the house has been very cold. I told the owner and asked for help. The owner after a few weeks finally came by the house and after a long talk, the owner told us that there was nothing that he could do, but we can move if we want to. I explained to the owner that we did not want to move, but the these were not proper living conditions especially since we have a small child. I also informed the owner that the reason for the house being so cold was that the windows were old and needed to be replaced. After some more talking the owner told us that he would pay for half of the windows.

My question is should we have to pay for half of the cost of replacing the windows?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 10, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Whether you should pay for half the cost of the windows is not something regulated by NJ landlord/tenant law. As long as there are windows then the house is habitable and the landlord has met his obligation.

Do you really like living there? Do you intend to stay there? If so then it might be worth making an investment in the house and splitting the cost with the landlord. However if I were in your position I would save my money. Spring is coming and it's going to warm up. I'd save my money and try to buy a house so I could invest in my own property and not someone else's property.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Hello brook:

I realize that you've got bad windows, therefore your complaint should be high heating costs rather than it being too cold.

Wassa matter with the heater? Of course, if the house doesn't have one or if it doesn't work, I suggest the landlord hasn't met his obligation.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 10, 2007, 07:28 AM
    I agree with Lisa, that making such an investment in rental property is throwing away money.

There are fairly inexpensive ways of insulating drafty windows. Go down to your local Home Depot and ask them for some ideas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting for Obligations Due After 3 Years [ 3 Answers ]

Nowadays, it is common to be able to purchase a Big Screen HDTV And be able to take it home without paying any cash -- instead, one has An obligation to pay in full, let us say $3000 after 3 years. How does the retailer (BestBuy, or BigScreenStore) and the manufacturer (Sony, Samsung) account...

New jersey tenant [ 3 Answers ]

I moved into a 2 bedroom apt that already had 1 tenant living there. We never signed a lease but paid the rent 50/50 each month by sending in separate checks. She moved out and did not find a replacement roommate and now the landlord is saying that I owe the last two months FULL rent (I was...

Renter's obligations after 12-mo lease? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Wisconsin. In July 2004 I signed a 12-month lease with all the usual regulations and restrictions. I've now been in this apartment for 25 months. What exactly are the rules after the first 12 months? Do all the same restrictions still apply? If the regulations are the same for the...

View more questions Search