Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jinnys Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2012, 10:10 PM
    Ask accounting questions free
    Hi to all,

I got question here that confuse me.
    A obtain machine from B without make payment. C is lease company that paid lump sum amount of machine to B. After that, A paid montly installment (principal plus interest) to C. However, after last installment paid, then A return back the machine to C.

Is it machine consider as purchase machine (fixed asset) or rental of machine for A?

During installment time, A is rent the machine to customer in contract term. For example,A has 5 years contract with customer and A need pay 2 years installment. After 2 years installment the machine need return to lease company. Then A find third party,D to buy the machine. A and D is under same boss. Even machine buy by D but A still rent machine to customer under A name.The rental is received by A.

Can D sell the machine to A so that the machine can rent back to customer?

Thank you.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2012, 11:27 PM
    How about you tell us what you think and we will discuss it with you
    Jinnys Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2012, 12:31 AM
    I think the machine should consider as rental of machine for A because it possibly that rent machine from C to generate rental income. The machine may not be fixed asset because at the end of installment paid the machine will return to B.

A company going on rent the machine to customer even the machine is brought by other. I think A should buy the machine from D in order to continuous rent to customer. After A purchases the machine only the machine consider as fixed asset of A company.

Please advice on the above,I really confuse about that.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2012, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinnys View Post
    I think the machine should consider as rental of machine for A because it possibly that rent machine from C to generate rental income. The machine may not be fixed asset because at the end of installment paid the machine will return to B.

A company going on rent the machine to customer even the machine is brought by other. I think A should buy the machine from D in order to continuous rent to customer. After A purchases the machine only the machine consider as fixed asset of A company.

Please advice on the above,i really confuse about that.
    In the first instance the machine is a lease and not part of fixed assets. There was no equity generated There is a school of accounting that thinks that it should be accounted as a fixed asset but that is radical thinking

The second situation is there a sub lease generating revenue. I still don't see the situation is different

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free Accounting questions [ 2 Answers ]

I am doing my 2011 taxes and wondering how to use the figures on my capital Loss Carryover work sheet from 2010?

Accounting questions free [ 2 Answers ]

This company has not kept proper accounting records and these are the records and balances: 2007 2008 Bank 14,500 -3,800 Accounts Receivable 10,350 14,780 Delivery Vehicles ...

Accounting questions free? [ 2 Answers ]

A business pays its insurance premium of $2,400 on November 1 of each year. On January 1 of the new year (after December 31 adjustments), the Prepaid insurance account has a debit balance of

Free accounting questions? [ 2 Answers ]

We currently pay our employees semi-monthly through the current date ie: payperiod is 3/1 to 3/15 and payroll checks are dated 3/15. How do I create a lag without withholding a check from the employee?

Accounting questions free [ 2 Answers ]

A company is incorporated but has not been active for a couple of years .The owner wants to close the company down since it is just costing money for business taxes etc . There is an asset -a building .Can this building be shown at fair market value & then the loss claimed as a business investment...

View more questions Search