Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JimL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2005, 09:21 AM
    Repair leaking PVC elbow in a wall.
    I have discovered a leaking PVC elbow between an upstairs tub and the drain to the downstairs. It is in a very difficult to get to area. Since I can't get to it to cut it out and glue another will a silicone sealant possibly stop the leak? Or is there some other kind of sealant that might work better?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 9, 2005, 11:16 AM
    Repair leaking PVC elbow in a wall.
    Hey Jim,
    Since this is a drainage leak and not one under pressure you can glue it shut.
    First purchase a small can of PVC Primer and a can of PVC Cement.
    Make sure the area's dry and free of moisture. Now prime the area with PVC primer ans slop PVC cement all over the area making sure it gets in the crack in the joint. PVC cement will melt PVC and weld it together, but it must be well primed before. Let it set up overnight before using. Good luck, Tom
    maq766 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hey Jim,
    Since this is a drainage leak and not one under pressure you can glue it shut.
    First purchase a small can of PVC Primer and a can of PVC Cement.
    Make sure the area's dry and free of moisture. Now prime the area with PVC primer ans slop PVC cement all over the area making sure it gets in the crack in the joint. PVC cement will melt PVC and weld it together, but it must be well primed before. Let it set up overnight before using. Good luck, Tom

What if the elbow is under pressure? What is a safe repair option other than replacing it?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 26, 2007, 07:25 AM
    "What if the elbow is under pressure? What is a safe repair option other than replacing it?"

If this waa a leak under pressure you would have no option but to cut it out and replace it. However, this was a drainage complaint. Why are you asking? Regards, Tom
    maq766 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 11:07 AM
    I have an elbow in a very difficult place that has a crack in it and is under pressure. I was hoping that there was a method by which it could be repaired without having to replace it (welding, melting, sealant, etc.). Thanks for the response, I've got some cutting to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to repair basement wall? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, If I'm not in the correct category here, please direct me to the correct one. I have a split level house which has a partially submerged basement. The basement walls are approximately 4 feet deep into the ground. Every time it rains, water seeps in from 2 walls at the bottom where they...

Drop-eared elbow [ 2 Answers ]

How far behind the finished wall should I install the drop-eared elbow for the shower head? See the picture Any problems if is 1.5" behind ? Thanks

Fix water leaking through tile on shower wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shower where water is leaking through the tiles on the wall, leaving puddles on the floor. There are visibile gaps from where the tile shrunk along the lowest row of tiles right above the bathtub. Do I need to remove the tile and then recaulk, or simply recaulk where there are visible...

180 degree copper elbow? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone makes a 180 degree copper elbow. I want to run a length of 1/2 inch copper pipe back next to itself (if that makes since.) Using two 90 degree elbows keeps the two pipes too far apart. I want them to run next to each other. I thought of using soft copper pipe but didn't...

Fixing an elbow on a pipe against an outside wall? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a leak on an outside pipe coming from the 90 degree elbow bend (I think). I have wrapped it in that hardening tape, but it still leaks (much less now). I would like to fix the leak completely, but here are my problems. The pipe is right up against a wall, so getting around it is pretty...

View more questions Search