Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hj3 Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Sep 24, 2012, 12:52 PM
    Upgrade potential of tablet computer
    I was looking into getting a tablet computer which will help me eliminate the need for many devices when driving (separate music player to connect to the deck, gps, etc.). However, I have one burning question, which is what's the upgrade potential? I intend to purchase a basic, multifunctional tablet, mainly for driving, which will offer gps (without the need for an app or internet connection), music, and the ability to take and save notes and info. As well as access the net. With computers, I'm a diy type of guy. I build my own computer and due to the standards that exist for desktop computers, am able to upgrade my capabilities, only buying new major components when necessary - so I really project my needs and make sure I "future-proof" (although that statement is sort of an oxymoron). Nevertheless, I stay away from laptops, only intending on having one if I can put it together myself, much like a desktop. With tablets being fairly new to the market, I'm still researching ways in which I could put one together so as to have the upgrade flexibility that I want, but in the meantime, I just wanted to know if tablets have upgrade capabilities (swapping processors, etc. when better ones become available) or are they similar to laptops in the sense that what you buy today, will be old by next week, and ancient in a month, leaving you stuck in an endless buying cycle of everything but the most crucial hardware components? Thanks!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2012, 12:55 PM
    Basically NO. outside of an external memory card.. you are stuck with what you bought.

These are the least upgradible computer out there.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 24, 2012, 01:07 PM
    Tablets are firmware/software upgradeable, but not hardware. The hardware is all affixed to the motherboard. If you were able to open the case, you wouldn't be able to close it.

Also a note, to be able to use GPS, I believe you would need a mobile broadband equipped model. These devices do not usually have full GPS satellite antennas.
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2012, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Tablets are firmware/software upgradeable, but not hardware. The hardware is all affixed to the motherboard. If you were able to open the case, you wouldn't be able to close it.

Also a note, to be able to use GPS, I beleive you would need a mobile broadband equipped model. These devices do not usually have full GPS satellite antennas.
    Scott, the WiFi only models do have a fully functioning GPS inside it... at least the better ones do. THe cheap Chinses no-name ones might not or the Kindle / Nook, but the good ones... like the Xoom, and Galaxy do.

I have a couple of the WiFi only Motorola Xooms at my house.

Sep 24, 2012, 01:26 PM
    Hmm, My HP Touchpad requires Internet Access to use the GPS.
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2012, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Hmm, My HP Touchpad requires Internet Access to use the GPS.
    Never played with that one... Just the two I mentioned... I can use mine (Motorola Xoom WiFi) as a garmin as long as I download maps for the area I'm driving, walking or biking.

And I'm running Android 4.1 Jellybean. Watching Promethius on my Xoom in the office as I write this.

There are several aps out there to allow you to do this. And NO I didn't root mine though I can if I wanted.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 24, 2012, 01:51 PM
    While the upgradability of tablets is limited, the OSes have been tailored to make the most of the available hardware resource.

If you look at a tablet as a super sized smart phone then you are closer to the idea behind them, (except for the HP webOS powered failures ;))

As already mentioned, the quality Android tablets have everything you'd find on the top end smart phones. Same goes for iPads.
    I'm not going to talk about playbooks as they are extremely limited and lame, designed for the cackberry brigade.

The cheap chinese "knock offs" are just that.
    They have some of the functionality but not the whole package.

Basically you pays your money and takes your choice..

Ps Droid all the way here with a Nexus, Note and Tab 10.1...

Sep 24, 2012, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    (except for the HP webOS powered failures ;))

The HP WebOS initiative failed because The idiot who was in charge of HP at the time didn't price it correctly, then gave up on it too soon.

It does almost everything I want it to. The only things I miss are the apps provided by my cable provider.

I am hoping I can install Win 8 on it though.
    BossMan

Sep 24, 2012, 01:59 PM
    Win8 on Tabs should be rather good, on more traditional hardware configurations it's seriously lacking.

As Win8 supports Arm, you should be onto a good thing..
    I'm not regrading my Tab though, as Ice cream Sandwich rocks socks..
    Might get a Chinese knock off for the cause..

Sep 24, 2012, 07:04 PM
    (To all) Thanks for the helpful answers! I began looking into the Xoom and Galaxy, and found out they were among the top performers, with the Xoom edging out the Galaxy. So now, I'm leaning towards the Xoom, and read that there's a Xoom 2 (or at least that it'll be released soon). Nevertheless, I'm looking into the specs. Any way I could avoid the "tyranny" of needing a subscription to leading cell phone providers in order to use the tablets mentioned (or at least to their max. potential)? I read that the 3g/4g results in always on internet connectivity (which I don't need) so I'm leaning towards the wifi only model in an effort to bypass the need for subscriptions. Also, I try to stay as far away from Apple as possible due to their "tyranny". I read reviews that stated that the Xoom is the opposite of this. What's your experience? Thanks!
    BossMan

Sep 24, 2012, 10:28 PM
    If you want to use it as a Satnav in your car you may want the 3g connectivity, although you could simply use wifi and connect it to your phone.
    That being said a 10 inch tab may well be too large to realistically use in this way.
    Have a look at the 7 inch Google Nexus: Discover Nexus Devices

Sep 25, 2012, 02:15 AM
    Ah - seems as if my second version of the question went through. When I submitted my first version, my connection went sour, so I re-submitted my question - slightly different language but still the same. Nevertheless, thanks for the additional tablet recommendation and I'l be sure to check it out. Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2012, 06:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hj3 View Post
    (To all) Thanks for the helpful answers! I began looking into the Xoom and Galaxy, and found out they were among the top performers, with the Xoom edging out the Galaxy. So now, I'm leaning towards the Xoom, and read that there's a Xoom 2 (or at least that it'll be released soon). Nevertheless, I'm looking into the specs. Any way I could avoid the "tyranny" of needing a subscription to leading cell phone providers in order to use the tablets mentioned (or at least to their max. potential)? I read that the 3g/4g results in always on internet connectivity (which I don't need) so I'm leaning towards the wifi only model in an effort to bypass the need for subscriptions. Also, I try to stay as far away from Apple as possible due to their "tyranny". I read reviews that stated that the Xoom is the opposite of this. What's your experience? Thanks!
    You can get a Xoom (not the Xoom2) for as little as $239 on eBay these days... I can use mine as a satnav or a "Garmin" or Tom Tom via third party apps... and offlime maps on the WiFi only units... (which is what I have)

The 3g/4g stuff is cell phone data connection and can get pricey very fast... otherwise you need to find WiFi hotspots to use them outside your home.

But not all apps require an internet connection to work... but some do. Just find one that's doesn't have a carriers name associated with it and it won't be locked to a carrier or need a service at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help.. computer froze during upgrade from win98se to ME [ 13 Answers ]

I was upgrading my old computer from win98se to windows ME and it was doing good then at 66% of install it froze so I turned it off then back on and now all I get is the message "this version of windows only run on ms-dos 8.00." then I get C:\> what happened and please tell me how to fix it! It...

View more questions Search