Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    B230 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2012, 08:50 AM
    How to evict month-to-month room mate wthin a month of stay
    I just have a month to month room mate who only within 2 weeks of stay started violating the terms of our agreement. I therefore decided to terminate the contract. Can I evict the person without involving the court. In other words what is the minimum days requirement (in NYC)for this kind of tenancy to bcome legally binding?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 24, 2012, 09:54 AM
    It sounds like this agreement was written. In that case it doesn't matter, 1 day is enough.

You can give him a notice saying that it isn't working out and you want him out by the end of next month. Only if he doesn't leave do you need to go to court to evict.
    B230 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2012, 11:45 AM
    It is a verbal agreement not written and we had a witness present. However the room mate made one month payment and a deposit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 24, 2012, 11:50 AM
    That should be enough for him to prove, in court if necessary, that you had an agreement. So you need to give him one rental period's notice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Month to month lease amended from 6 month to 12 month is it still a month to month [ 1 Answers ]

I have an original month to month lease set for 6 months At the end of the 6 months, an amendment page was added that reads for this is a 1 year lease Is this still a month to month lease?

What is the required notice time to evict a month to month tenant in Virginia [ 2 Answers ]

I have a basement tenant who has been slow pay. No trouble, just can't pay on time. He does pay before it is 30 days late, but I want to ask him to leave. How much notice do I have to give him? 60 days? 30 days? What if he decides not to pay rent during this time? I don't have a written lease.

Landlord Requiring 2 month Vacating Notice on 3 month (month to month) lease [ 21 Answers ]

I am in a situation and am in need of some advice. I am currently renting an apartment in Minneapolis. I am doing an internship which only requires me to live here for 3 Months. I signed a lease with a complex on a month to month basis. I planned to Move out at the end of April, so on march 1 I...

View more questions Search