Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rebeqa Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2012, 12:28 PM
    How do I help my broken heart?
    When I found myself heartbroken for the first time, I screwed myself over my getting drunk, partying and bringing a different guy home every night. Even after a year, I still can't forgive myself for it. It was a bad break up. I loved him for three years and although I deny it now and have successfully got my life back, I know I still care for him and wouldn't mind being with him if I could accept him back.

Somewhere in between, I found a great guy whom I respected a lot and he became the reason I sobered up. First, I went out with him for pity but now, I'm attached to him. I feel like I do love him in some way although not as strong as before but I still love him. My problem is, he broke up with me and I’m heartbroken all over again. This time, I don't want to be a skank, I want him back. But I feel like the problem is me... I’m the reason I’m heart broken. How do I solve this?

P.S. I’m also a majorly insecure person when it comes to love, deny to believe that someone loves me and am also deprived of all forms of love
    JennaC Posts: 54, Reputation: 6

Sep 23, 2012, 12:39 PM
    Hiya,

So here's the reason you're so heartbroken: you got dumped. It happens. There is nothing wrong with you as a person. People get dumped all the time and you are not alone.

With that said, I'm glad that you're identifying that this does indeed have to do with YOU getting over it and that you know not to drink. That's a very mature and self-aware view to take, kudos. I'd recommend you maintain zero contact with the former fella, lay off the alcohol and rely on your friends for shoulders to cry on/vent to. These things will help you the most. The next thing you I recommend is perhaps speaking to a therapist to find the reasons you feel like you're so insecure. Do you get scared to talk to people, do you dislike how you look about your appearance (whatever detail it may be)? Are you in school - if so, are you a good student?

The reason I ask these seemingly unrelated questions is because depending on your answers you could do things that might help you boost your confidence, in conjunction with talking to a psychologist. You're not nuts, don't worry. I think everyone and their neighbor should see one at some point in their lives just for unbiased viewpoints and to find healthy ways to deal with bad situations. Try to join an intramural volleyball club, or get to the gym 3 days a week, or just start walking a lot more if you can. These kinds of things will keep you active and keep that guy off your mind.

I hope this helps, these are things that I've done in the past after really awful breakups and worked wonders for me. And I don't think you are/were a skank, sometimes people go through promiscuous periods of their lives to get through rough times, it's an unhealthy coping mechanism, but still happens.

Sep 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
    Thanks. My problem is not really getting through this though. I just don't have anyone to talk to about it :(
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 26, 2012, 11:38 AM
    You do now, so vent away.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 26, 2012, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebeqa View Post
    Thanks. My problem is not really getting through this though. I just don't have anyone to talk to about it :(
    We're here. Tell us about you. What drives you to party and drink and want to sabotage good relationships? Why don't you think you are "good enough"?

Oct 1, 2012, 10:06 AM
    It's not about not being good enough, every time I feel hurt, I feel the need to go do something stupid which'll hurt me more... my family's never been the best place to be, I've not really felt love in a long while and I had a bad experience with bullies so I don't trust friends/ girls... I guess I relied on him to be my best friend and love me but, what I need's a friend not a boyfriend. But that's hard to do since I don't like girls and boys only want to be my guy. So I tend to end up in this sort of mess
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 10:13 AM
    every time I feel hurt, I feel the need to go do something stupid which'll hurt me more... my family's never been the best place to be, I've not really felt love in a long while
    Tell me more about that.

Oct 1, 2012, 10:44 AM
    What more is there? I'm just alone.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 10:54 AM
    what more is there? i'm just alone.
    Why do you feel the need to do something stupid?

You're not alone. You've got me (and us).

Oct 1, 2012, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Why do you feel the need to do something stupid?

You're not alone. You've got me (and us).
    Dunnno.. I guess it's just the need to numb the initial hurt by feeling hate and anger...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 11:22 AM
    dunnno.. I guess it's just the need to numb the initial hurt by feeling hate and anger...
    By feeling hate and anger toward yourself...

Don't get mad at the other person. (Heaven forbid!) Instead, do something so you can be mad at yourself. That's safer?

Oct 1, 2012, 10:40 PM
    I can't hate and I don't like being hurt. Not really a bad person at heart. And I can't discredit my love and care by instantly hating him the moment he hurts me.For me, loving someone doesn't work that way... It takes a lot of time for me because I only make way for people who I care for and trust and the ones who really get me... and it's not that I hate myself, it's just that letting go and being stupid gets so much fun that I forget things... makes sense?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 1, 2012, 10:54 PM
    Makes a lot of sense. You are hardly the first to do dumb things when you are hurt by love. There is a better safer way to handle rejection, and hurt... love yourself, and do good things for YOURSELF!

Adding more pain to hide pain is never the way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken heart [ 3 Answers ]

I am girl and physically weak ,I take too much stress and sometimes when I am shocked of sth my heart races... recently my younger brother played a prank on me and frightened me I was so shocked that I got pain in my heart area left arm can anybody please help me how to decrease this pain, it is...

Broken heart [ 11 Answers ]

Heyy. I'm 16 and about to have my first child. My boyfriend and I was just going out for a month and he got me pregnant. Well everything was going good and it was like 7 months we have been together he called me the other day and told me that he had a new girlfriend that broke my heart so badd. I...

Broken heart [ 19 Answers ]

Hi, I started dating a girl that was recently separated, she had been so for about a year, she said she had dated and was ready for a relationship, we spent the first 4 months just hanging out and that turned into a relationship. I supported her emotions during her divorce constantly building her...

Broken Heart :( [ 10 Answers ]

Ok so here's my sappy story haha... My ex-boyfriend Mike and I dated for aboutr a year and a half. We met through friends in July of '05 and he immediately pursued my like crazy. He would drop everything for me. He was my first boyfriend and my first love. We would see each other probably 2 or...

Broken heart [ 10 Answers ]

Ok Question Ive Been Married Twice I Finally Met A Guy That Meets All My Criteria. Well He Tells Me He Loves Me. He Has A Problem At Work And Tries To Find Another Job Out Of State So I Try To Stick With Him Even Though I Don't See Him But Once A Week And Don't Talk To Him Much. So Hes Out Of...

View more questions Search