Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mdc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Dual-Status Tax Preparation
    Hello,

I arrived in US on October 24, 2004 on a J-1 visa as a visiting researcher. It is a treaty between my country and US and because of this I was tax exempt for 2 years.
    Starting with January 1, 2006 I've started paying Social Security and Medicare (~7.65% of my salary).
    Starting with October 24, 2006 I've start paying even Federal and State taxes.

I received the W-2 form from my university employer and it shows all incomes that I got in 2006.

Now I have to complete my tax forms. I went on H&R Block and a guy spent more that an hours with me but he was not able to figure out what forms I have to send to IRS.

Reading other topics on this site I figure out that I am a dual-status resident for tax purpose and I have to complete both 1040NR and 1040. This is very clear to me.

What I am confused now about is what amount of money should I put on 1040/1040NR forms?
    Should I ask for two W-2 forms, one for the non-residency period (January 1 to October 24) and one for the last 2 months of the year (October 24 to December 31)?

Thanks a lot for your answers.
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 9, 2007, 03:40 PM
    No -- this is not correct. I will PM you with some information. To be totally accurate, I'd also need to know your country etc.

Mar 9, 2007, 03:43 PM
    I'm from Romania.

I just called IRS and the lady who answered my call was not able to tell me what to do. She took my contact information and someone else will call me next week.

Thanks so much for helping me.

Mar 10, 2007, 09:32 PM
    Is 1040 covering both federal and state taxes? If I send 1040 and 1040NR to IRS should I send something else for state taxes?
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 11, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Two things -- yes, state taxes are something different and if you live in a state with an income tax you will file a state tax return.

Regarding the 1040 and the 1040NR, as per my PM correspondence, you are not dual status. You will need to submit the treaty relevant form but not a full 1040NR.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2007, 10:31 PM
    TaxSearcher has this in hand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

UK Tax Treaty? Dual Status? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, I have a few questions regarding my tax return... I am a UK Citizen, yet I schooled in the US since 2001. I started working in NY & NJ last year and my H1-B status started in Nov 2005 (transferred from OPT) So my questions are: 1) Do I need to file dual status?...

Tax question - dual status? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, In 2005, I worked on an H-1B till August 2005 and then switched status to an F-1 to study for my MBA. I have been on an H-1B since 2001 so I pass the substantial presence test. I am filing the 1040 as a resident alien. Is that OK? Or should I be filing as a...

Regarding Dual Status and Tax Forms... [ 3 Answers ]

Excellent forum guys! Appreciate all the hard work you guys are doing to help people. I was wondering if you could do me a favor by answering my queries too. Nationality: Indian Came to US: Aug 2003 (F-1 visa) Trip to India: late Dec 2004 - early Feb 2005 Reentry to US: early Feb 2005 (same...

Dual Status Tax - doing something wrong? [ 6 Answers ]

I lived in the states from 2001 to Feb 2004 as a alien resident. Moved back to Canada at end of Feb 2004. Doing a dual status tax return with a 1040 (resident alien) to cover jan/feb and a 1040NR (non-resident alien) to cover the rest... I've read Pub 519 and the 1040NR instruction manual and I...

F1-CPT-H1 Dual status tax Questions [ 2 Answers ]

1. I am resident of India, single Entered USA on F-1 visa in Aug 1999 2. I converted from F1 to H1 last year 3. I was living in Texas until June 2004 , then moved to North Carolina to do a Co-Op. (for 2 months) 4. After my co-op, I started my full time job in NC in another Company from...

View more questions Search