Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tishee_76 Posts: 64, Reputation: 4

Mar 9, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Hiding Grey Hair
    Hi everyone,
    I'm 30, natural dark brunette. I've had a couple of heart operations, last one being 8yrs ago. I'm confident my health is back on board but and I can live with all the scars but through all the body's stress of the op's my hair is rapidly greying.

Initially I could get away with permanent colours similar to my own (covering it up) but now it's getting worse and I refuse fall into the trap of dying it every 3-4 weeks.

Instead I thought of gradually lightening it so the grey regrowth wasn't as noticeable.
    Maybe add a few lighter streaks or foils.

I realise going to a professional would be a sound answer. But I don't have that sort of extended cash flow to pay their shop rent (well.. it doesn't go into the hairdressers pay packet!).

I would appreciate any additional options or suggestions on products or how to lighten dark brown hair with 30-40% grey regrowth.

Every ones opinion will be taken into account but I would especially like to hear Pretty Lady's opinion as her All About Hair Colouring thread was THE most informative text on do it yourself hair dying.. I only wish I had that information when I was 15 :o
    My biggest worry is a two toned out come due to grey versus dark brown.

Thanks heaps and huge round of applause to the founders of this web site, It's a Ripper!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Gray can be attractive with a reverse streaking procedure. But you can't do it yourself because although I really wanted that look no one makes a streaking kit for light hair.

I dyed me hair for years because I turned gray after my son was born at 39, but dyed it the lighter blond colours to take the edge off, so to speak. I didn't have a problem with regrowth because I am outside so much that whatever colour I put on fades in a couple of weeks.

Three years ago I grew tired of dying and went gray again and did enjoy it for a while but back to using LOreal blonde shades. These are no fuss colours that can easily be done yourself. Just follow the instructions. Good luck
    tishee_76 Posts: 64, Reputation: 4

Mar 9, 2007, 01:58 PM
    Ahh.. Thanks for commenting so quick.
    So did u find the grey regrowth isn't as noticeable with lighter hair or is it much-of-a-muchness?

And do you reckon I could use LOreal blonde shades immediately to begin the lightening process or go for the unforgiving peroxide and toner applications?

I use LOreal too, it seems to be reliable and better quality colour.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 10, 2007, 02:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tishee_76
    Ahh.. Thanks for commenting so quick.
    So did u find the grey regrowth isn't as noticeable with lighter hair or is it much-of-a-muchness?

And do you reckon I could use LOreal blonde shades immediately to begin the lightening process or go for the unforgiving peroxide and toner applications?

I use LOreal too, it seems to be reliable and better quality colour.
    Yes definitely use blond shades (I can't use anything 'ash blonde') so maybe you should steer clear of them too. I never found the gray regrowth noticeable because the blond had slightly faded anyway but left colour. I would never suggest the peroxide and toner, why bother, when you have good products like LOreal to give you the result you need immediately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grey hair? [ 6 Answers ]

I decided that I was sick of having roots show so I wanted to dye my bleached blonde hair to the color at my roots (dusty blonde). I can't afford to go to a color stylist at the moment but I figured since I'd be going darker (and matching to my scalp color) it'd be an easy process. I chose the...

Growing out grey hair [ 1 Answers ]

I am 61 and have been colouring my hair for several years. I want to let the natural grey grow in. The colour I have been using on my hair is a lighter reddish-brown than my natural hair colour. My hair is medium length (above my shoulders) and wavy with a tendency to frizz. I have read that using...

How to delay grey hair while young [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, is there are food or any thing I can take to delay grey hair, it comes in early age in my family, I have heard somewhere you can eat or take some kind of vitamins to delay it, do you have any idea, thanks

I want my grey hair back! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello,I am a 47 year young man and recently decided to dye my hair.My hair was a silver/grey and I went with a medium/dark brown.Also did the Just for Men beard color and am having allergic reactions to that after using it several times.What can I do to get my grey back without having to spend an...

Grey Hair - Premature [ 3 Answers ]

What causes grey hair, besides the commonly known strees, inherited, lack of melanin in hair? Is lack of protein one of the cause? What is the remedies to cure grey hair. I have try vit B, it doesn't work for me any more. I found that dye hair will cause more grey hair for people like us who...

View more questions Search