Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaydee88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2012, 06:52 PM
    401k hardship
    I have a 401k at work. It only has $1,100 in it and has been idle for a few years. I wanted to get a hardship loan to fix my vehicle but my employer tells me I do not qualify for financial need that my vehicle is personal. Im not putting new flashy rims on it my tranny is going out and I have a child support garnishment compliments of my divorce and barely bring home a little more than $200 weekly. I can't get a loan from an outside institution such as bank or credit union, loan company etc... because of this garnishment . How is being evicted from a rental property or buying a new home quallify but the only means I have to and from my job not a need? Where can I get help or information because I thought from everything I have read on line I qualify because of the garnishment...
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 24, 2012, 09:30 AM
    The IRS limits the definition of "hardship" that qualifies for withdrawal from the 401(k) for active employees to the following:

1. Expenses for medical care previously incurred by the employee, the employee's spouse, or any dependents of the employee or necessary for these persons to obtain medical care;
    2. Costs directly related to the purchase of a principal residence for the employee (excluding mortgage payments);
    3. Payment of tuition, related educational fees, and room and board expenses, for the next 12 months of postsecondary education for the employee, or the employee's spouse, children, or dependents;
    4. Payments necessary to prevent the eviction of the employee from the employee's principal residence or foreclosure on the mortgage on that residence;
    5. Funeral expenses; or
    6. Certain expenses relating to the repair of damage to the employee's principal residence.

Repair of your car does not qualify.

One possible option would be to take a loan against your 401(k) balance. Most plans allow you to tale out a loan of up to 50% of the balance, and then you pay it back through payroll deduction over the next year or two. The nice thing about this is that there are no penalties or taxes due, and the interest you pay is being paid to yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k hardship withdrawal [ 10 Answers ]

I will try to summarize my situation. My wife & I gross $55000/yr. We've recently re-financed our house to the max value of $110000 & still have $50000 of credit card debt. We are both losing our jobs due to a plant closing. I have a job on the horizon but, my wife, who earns the majority of the...

401k Hardship [ 4 Answers ]

My husband is disabled andf in the last stages of cemantic demcia,I am 42 years old he is 50 we have two young teenage daughters ,my husband has gotten disablity ,now he doesn't qualify for medicaid ,I am the only caregiver so I can't work,I need to take all of 401k and use it for expenses,will I...

401k taxes/hardship [ 1 Answers ]

I appreciate the quick response but I also need to know about the 16k loan previously taken and not repaid due to my disability. Also can I claim hardship with this withdrawal. Your response is greatly greatly appreciated. I do not want to find myself later in a more difficult financial...

401k hardship questions [ 1 Answers ]

1) I owe Federal back taxes, State back taxes, and local real estate (county taxes) and am late on my house payments. Can I take out 401k money without paying the additional 10% tax for early withdrawl? 2) Also, a few years ago, I lost my job and my 401k automatically rolled into a withdrawl to...

401K Hardship - [ 6 Answers ]

I will try to summarize my situation. 56 years old and terminated by my employer. Have 150K in 401k plan. Owe 78K on mortgage (9 years remain). About 12K of credit card debt. Can I qualify for penalty free lump sum distribution or take a monthly distribution penalty free? I would like to pay...

View more questions Search