Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sara_b Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Sep 21, 2012, 04:35 PM
    Could I move into my friends house with her parents? I'm 15.
    Hello, my names sara.

Im 15 years old, and my 16th birthday is another year away, July 13th.
    & I cannot wait that long to move out, my house is suffocating, I feel as if I'm drowning & only my lungs fill up but I keep breathing, & every day it gets harder and harder, its impossible to live like this.. understand that I'm underage, but the problem is my father won court my default of my mother being extremely unfit to raise an 8 year old, I've had bad crads handed to me through out my entire life, I want that to change, I need it to, I need to be able to look forward to my future at the pace it comes at, not wanting to hurl myself into it so I can escape.

I have a step mother who is psychotic and is an conical liar, who I believe has mental issues in making up fake illness , she's claimed to have a nonexistent brain tumor and heart problems, yet there is no doctor appointments and my father has never seen paper work towards it, this illness of a brain tumor has been recent as well. She's even told my grandma & uncle that she does not have one.

She makes me feel worthless and I don't want to feel that way, who would?
    I want to be happy, I want to look back and be able to say that was a great day, not remember mascara running down my face, my childhood already was , why should my teen years be the same? Am I not allowed to be happy?

I honestly don see why I wouldn't be able to live with my friend and her mother, she's fit to raise children, and id be closer to my school and be able to get a job, I would be happy, and comfortable in my own home for once in my entire life, I would actually want to choose to be at home!

Its not fair, I don't get the choice to pick between parents, yes I love my dad, but I don't feel the need that I have to live with him, I don't get home sick for my house, I get home sick if I'm not anywhere else, I get depressed when I'm here, I have bad thoughts, I hate HATE it here, I can not take it, any longer. I'm done with feeling helpless and weak and unhappy, my happiness counts too.

Could I be able to be fostered cared or adopted by her parents? I've been in foster care before twice as a child.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 21, 2012, 04:41 PM
    No you can't be adopted by your friend's parents unless your parents give you up. And if you try, they can be prosecuted for parental interference.

The reason you can't is the law. If your home situation is really bad, talk to school counselors. Get family services involved and let them investigate. They may decide to pull you out or they may talk to your parents and make things better.

Also, you seem to think you can move out at 16, but that's unlikely to be the case.
    sara_b Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Sep 21, 2012, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    No you can't be adopted by your friend's parents unless your parents give you up. And if you try, they can be prosecuted for parental interference.

The reason you can't is the law. If your home situation is really bad, talk to school counselors. Get family services involved and let them investigate. They may decide to pull you out or they may talk to your parents and make things better.

Also, you seem to think you can move out at 16, but that's unlikely to be the case.

Why? At 12 you get to pick between parents, I'm 15 & I don't have parents to pick between and what if my mother was to say I was able to? She's fixing up her life, but I wouldn't live with her because of the fact that she lives far away, & I enjjoy my school and friends and boyfriend. Also people move out at 16 all the time without parents consent, my step sister did because she doesn't like her own mother.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 21, 2012, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sara_b View Post
    Why? at 12 you get to pick between parents, im 15 & i dont have parents to pick between and what if my mother was to say i was able to? shes fixing up her life, but i wouldnt live with her because of the fact that she lives far away, & i enjjoy my school and friends and boyfriend. Also people move out at 16 all the time without parents consent, my step sister did due to the fact that she doesnt like her own mother.
    Where did you get the idea that at 12 you can pick between parents? And where are you getting the idea that people move out at 16? ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area. But I don't know anywhere in the US that is true. Maybe your step sister's parents decided not to do anything about it, but that doesn't mean it was legal.

And if you were to go into foster care, it would be unlikely you could go to the same school and continue to be with your friends and especially your boyfriend.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 21, 2012, 09:59 PM
    You do not get to pick where to live at 12, at 12 many courts ( not all) allow a child to say what they want, but there is not always what the court will do, they still look what is best for the child.

The child has no say to decide where they live till they are 18. And no you cannot move, if these people took you in, they could be arrested, unless it was done though the courts, with parents permission
    CrazyStereotype Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Nov 8, 2012, 08:52 AM
    You need to speak to a lawyer or social worker, since it would technically be considered illegal if you simply went without your parents' consent. If they say no; legally you MUST stay in your home until you are 18, whether you like it or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How old do I have to be to move out of my parents house? [ 7 Answers ]

I'd like to know how old I have to be to move out of my parents house, I am only 15, and I think that I could have my life together better if they weren't around all the time, I have thought this through, I can cook and clean, I'm not wanting to right away, not until I get a job and a car and I...

What age can I move out of my parents house [ 36 Answers ]

I'm 13 years old and I live with my mom and step-dad I am very unhappy living with them. My dad is dead, my grandparents will not take me in and I have no other family. I get bullied a lot and my mom blamed it on me, I'm bisexual and if I tell my mom she will prouble kick me out anyway. I have a...

How old can you be to move out of your parents house [ 2 Answers ]

I just want to know how old I have to be to move out of my parents house I am 12

How old can you be to move out of your parents house? [ 7 Answers ]

I just want to know how old I have to be to move out of my parents cause they are all ways blaming me for stuff I don't do I am only 14 and I just want to know what you have to do to move out of my parents house so please help me thank you.

View more questions Search