Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lantiis Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2012, 12:47 PM
    Zebra TLP 2824 Plus does not print barbell labels?
    We have a Zebra TLP 2824 Plus label printer that we use for printing our barbell labels (2.188" w and 0.500" h). Previously, we used this printer via USB on Windows XP Professional 32-bit. We have recently upgraded to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. According to Zebra, the printer is compatible.

The initial installation on the new Win7 64-bit OS went as planned: the drivers were installed automatically. We checked to make sure our settings imported correctly (direct thermal, proper dimensions, continuous printing - same as our XP machine) and tried to print an order. It didn't print AT ALL. We uninstalled the printer and installed it using the disc it came with, updated the software and then re-installed the printer the way we did on the previous XP machine. We imported the old settings and tried to print again. It did print, however, it always prints 4 labels and then about 20 blank labels. It then blinks red until you calibrate. After calibrating, you can press the button and it will print another 20 or so blank labels, then the rest of the order and then about 20 labels filled with the calibration print.

We have tried both continuous and gap printing. We have tried printing from factory defaults. We have tried turning the printer on while holding the button until it turns green. We have done all of these things with 4 different drivers: the TLP 2824 Plus driver, LP 2824 Plus driver, LP 2824 driver and a generic text only driver. No change in the result (with one minor anomaly that it would not print at all with the generic driver despite several websites advocating it use and stating that it fixed the exact problem I have described above).

Can anyone give me some feedback on this issue? We have called Zebra. We have been told that we are not having this issue despite the fact that we are having it. We were then redirected to sales where they tried to sell us the same make/model we already have to fix this issue. I would like to not call them again.

Additional anomaly - despite being a thermal printer, after trying the generic driver and switching back to the TLP 2824 Plus driver, the print is very faded now. No matter what we set darkness to (used to be at 7), it prints a light gray that is incredibly hard to read. I have reset it to factory defaults yet again with no change to the issue or, now, the darkness of the printed type on the barbells...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 21, 2012, 01:27 PM
    I think the problem is more the software you are printing from. What is the software you are using?

Sep 24, 2012, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I think the problem is more the software you are printing from. What is the software you are using?
    We are using it with TAM Retail v 10.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 24, 2012, 07:31 AM
    I would check with the software vendor. Make sure their software is compatible.

Sep 24, 2012, 07:49 AM
    We have tried this, and they tell us they won't "troubleshoot" other vendor's devices. It is like pulling teeth to get them to check on compatibility, and in the end, they state that they can't guarantee it but that it SHOULD be. I don't know where to go with that answer. Getting that pathetic info took almost an hour and a half with TAM Retail. I feel like I am drowning in excuses with no results and no way for us to get work done :(

Sep 25, 2012, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lantiis View Post
    We have tried this, and they tell us they won't "troubleshoot" other vendor's devices. It is like pulling teeth to get them to check on compatibility, and in the end, they state that they can't guarantee it but that it SHOULD be. I don't know where to go with that answer. Getting that pathetic info took almost an hour and a half with TAM Retail. I feel like I am drowning in excuses with no results and no way for us to get work done :(
    Despite us having updated to the latest version of TAM a little over a month ago and verifying that our Zebra printers were still compatible, we did call TAM again to address this issue again. The rep told us we needed to update our software to the version we have already *head meet desk*

After we pointed out that we already have that version, we were told a new one would be rolled out some time and that the Zebra printers wouldn't work on Win7 machines until the newer version came out so we have to wait... We pointed out that we have two Zebra printers on Win7 machines, one of which works fine (the older model) and we were then told that it is only the newest models that are having problems with TAM on Win7. After pointing out that this "newest" model is almost 2 years old, we were told "..."

Nothing they did worked (a 3 hour call with a TAM tech remoted in to our network). We are still at square one with Zebra and TAM unable to do anything.

Does ANYBODY have ANY ideas? Why will one work but not the other when just a few weeks ago they both worked fine?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you adjust the settings on a Zebra LP 2824? [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to manipulate the printer to print only a selection. I am working on creating labels for my company. To print theses particular labels, my printer calls for larger labels. I want to be able to just print the bar code from the large labels onto the smaller labels. Is there anyway to...

Need a Program to assist me print Out address Labels [ 1 Answers ]

I have a package of Ink Jet address labels which are a standard size of 1" x2 5/8 inches. (no software included) Does anyone know of a program/website where I can go to print out my labels? I do not have MS Word so I cannot access that Program for help. Appreciate any suggestions. ...

View more questions Search