Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mike_Public Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2012, 04:24 PM
    Computer forums for beginners
    When I work inside my computer to replace RAM, should I unplug it or leave it plugged in?

I've found conflicting opinions about this. Some say leave it plugged in so it will be grounded. Others say unplug it for safety.

Does a wrist strap satisfy the grounding requirement?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 20, 2012, 04:25 PM
    Unplug it.

Wrist strap should be fine.
    AnswerMan5000 Posts: 186, Reputation: 3

Sep 22, 2012, 08:32 AM
    Sorry I read that wrong.

Odin is right

You can leave the unit plugged in. just don't have it on while you're doing this. Changing RAM however is one of the few instances in which I would do this. If you are working on just about anything else, like swapping a hard drive, or touching the CPU, you should unplug the unit
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Sep 23, 2012, 10:21 AM
    The safest bet is to unplug the unit. PC off still has small power for led lights and some info can be saved in memory. If the PC is off you would be OK, but if there were open folders say saved in memory for when you restart, they would be gone. I have never owned a wrist strap but I do touch the metal of the case to discharge any static before I play.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How should users of internet cafes, who are beginners of computer use, make sure... [ 8 Answers ]

... make sure that webcam that it is not turned on, how is it turned off? This is in case the person before them has left it on without meaning to.

** README before posting in the computer forums. ** [ 0 Answers ]

Have you read your product's manual or visited the product manufacturer's website? Manufacturer and vendor websites include a wealth of product information as well as knowledgebase articles for common configuration scenarios and resolutions for known issues with particular software or driver...

Accounting for beginners [ 1 Answers ]

How are the nominal accounts closed to revenue and expense summary account?? :confused:

Computers for beginners [ 10 Answers ]

Why can I receive email but not be able to send, is this an isolated problem or permanent one+what tne heck is the mail daemon? Is my email possesed?

View more questions Search