Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rock2127 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 10:28 AM
    PC freezes during start up
    My PC freezes durning start-up. When I turn it on it never even gets to the welcome screen, what should I do? (I'm running win-xp) Fortunately, I can start it up in 'safe mode'. Where do I go from there? I tried a system restore, a disk cleanup, and a defrag, but the problem persists! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2007, 11:08 AM
    It starts in Safe Mode, but doesn't go further? When in Safe Mode run MSCONFIG and uncheck EVERYTHING under Startup. Then see if it boots. If it does, start rechecking things one by one until you find the culprit.

Mar 12, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Thanks scott! I was able to run msconfig and uncheck everything under start-up, but still the computer froze during start-up... what else can I do?
    ... thanks for the help!

Mar 13, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Boot to your XP CD and run the Repair option.

Mar 14, 2007, 06:10 AM
    I don't have an XP disk, what other options do I have?

Mar 14, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Why don't you have one? Do you have a Recovery CD? What brand PC?

Mar 20, 2007, 10:44 AM
    I think I found the problem... first is tried to restore the PC with these retore disks that had image files which opened with norton ghost and I guess I erased the operating system, while booting up its displayed 'Missing Operating System' and didn't go further... so, I reinstalled a older WinXP version... and I think the video card (e-GeForce 6200 LE from NVidia) is causing the PC to freeze. When I disable it, the PC boots up fine, and when it's enabled it doesn't... but I resently installed this video card in January to get the multiple monitor feature, and it was working perfect, no problems at all, what might have caused the PC to start freezing up all of a sudden? Thanks for the help!

Mar 20, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Ok, If you tried using the Recovery CDs then stopped in the middle you lost everything. If you installed additional hardware then you will have to install the drivers immediately after restoring the image.

Mar 20, 2007, 12:30 PM
    I never proceeded with using the recovery disks because I guess it erased the operating system, when I reinstalled the winxp I did install the driver for the video card and that is when it starts to freeze up, I was looking to see if I can update the driver but I couldn't find an update for it... what else should I do? Thanks!!

Mar 20, 2007, 01:12 PM
    I would complete the recovery.

Mar 21, 2007, 08:39 AM
    When I first tried to use the restore disks I think erased the operting system and in doing that, the Norton restore program was also erased so I guess I can't use the norton image file restore disks. Do you think I could change some settings that will keep the video card from freezing the PC? When I enable the video card's driver its freezes up and I also noticed it started to reboot the PC too... but when it's disabled it works fine... what do you think?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet freezes [ 2 Answers ]

I'm using TPG on winXP and whenever I connect to the net, it works fine for the first 5 to 10 minutes. But after that the internet freezes. The computer doesn't freeze but all net applications don't work. If I try any website, it won't load. If I am downloading, it stops. If I have msn on, it...

DSO Exploit, IE doesn't start, Saving my settings freezes comp... [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I've multiple issues going on that were not happening before. I run Win XP SP2 with two firewalls, NAV 2005 - never had any issues until this started happening while I left comp on for 2 hours without watching. If you can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Here are the symptompts: -...

Windows Xp Freezes! [ 3 Answers ]

I booted up my computer and right when it gets to the desktop screen the computer freezes. There was this message that said that my registry had been fixed before the computer froze. Can some one tell me how to fix this problem?also I have used ad ware to remove some spy ware but if this problem...

Computer Freezes [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone please help me?  I have an E-Machine AMD Duron 800Mhz computer with 768 RAM.  I have been having a lot of problems with my computer for the past year.  Whenever I am using it, either on the web, printing something or just using a program, the computer just freezes.  I have done all the...

View more questions Search