Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovebugcole Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Child has my maiden name can I change it to stepfathers?
    My daughter has my maiden name, her father is not on her birthcertificate. Her father has been paying child support for about a year and a half but has not contacted us in over 7 years. Do I have to notify him to change her last name to her stepfathers, who has been her dad for her whole life. How do I change her name?
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

Mar 9, 2007, 10:33 AM
    I don't believe you would have to but double check this out with a lawyer they should be able to tell you that over phone free of charge.. if not then call friend of court office
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 10:53 AM
    If you area does not have Friend of the Court, you may want to contact your local Family Court if you have one of those.
    gina1sickchic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovebugcole
    My daughter has my maiden name, her father is not on her birthcertificate. Her father has been paying child support for about a year and a half but has not contacted us in over 7 years. Do I have to notify him to change her last name to her stepfathers, who has been her dad for her whole life. How do I change her name?
    I don't think so just go tell them he's the father that s what they told me but diff state laws apply so if paternity been established then you prob will have to have is approval
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 11:02 AM
    You most likely will have to get him to relinquish his rights first. Contact a family law attorney for specific information for your particular area.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2007, 11:03 AM
    This is not an issue of changing a name. The stepfather has to adopt your daughter which means a) getting the bio father to relinquish his parental rights and b) going to court to formalize the adoption. Go down to your local Family Court and ask what the process entails.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maiden/married name [ 11 Answers ]

Are there any sources of information (eg people search websites) which would provide the married name, given the maiden name of a female?

Maiden name [ 6 Answers ]

Is there anyplace on the web I can find a persons maiden name from just her married name?

Change of surname of my child [ 6 Answers ]

I have a daughter and I didn't married her father. But I had my baby's surname after her father's. Now. Her father and I broke up because our relationship isn't really working. I would just like to ask the process of what do I need to do to change my baby's name after mine. What are the laws and...

Finding someone by her maiden name [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find a person by their maiden name free of charge on the web?

View more questions Search