Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cigarman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Sputtering water in upstairs bathroom sink
    Every now and then my upstairs sink, bathtub and toilet will sputter when the water flows. Cold or hot, doesn't matter. It acts as if I had turned off the main and opened a valve and allowed air in the system, which of course I haven't. I've looked everywhere for leaks, but even if there was a hidden leak, I would think that that would be the source of air getting into the system. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Rp
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 11:49 AM
    The only thing that comes to mind is that your main supply may be back siphoning to your well or city water system. Do you know if you have an anti-siphon valve on the supply?
    cigarman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cigarman
    Every now and then my upstairs sink, bathtub and toilet will sputter when the water flows. Cold or hot, doesnt matter. It acts as if I had turned off the main and opened a valve and allowed air in the system, which of course I havent. I've looked everywhere for leaks, but even if there was a hidden leak, i would think that that would be the source of air getting into the system. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

rp
    Yea, I thought of that, but I'm only having the issue with my upstairs bathroom. I would think if water was backflowing into the city systems, air would show up in other parts of the house. Thanks for the reply.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 10, 2007, 09:15 AM
    If you have back siphoning it will pull watrer, then air, through the point of least resistance. Most likely a faucet with a weak seal. It will be that faucet that shows the presence of air, not the entire house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upstairs bathroom - no hot water [ 2 Answers ]

My upstairs bathroom is getting no hot water, either to the sink or the tub. The cold water works fine in the sink, tub, and toilet. The kitchen downstairs is fine, as is the bathroom more or less directly below the upstairs one. If I run the hot water downstairs, I can get a trickle of cold...

Slow sink in upstairs bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Water is slow going down put in Mr. Plumber liquid several times and soesn't seem to help

No hot water in upstairs bathroom [ 6 Answers ]

Our house is 2 years old and the hot water in the upstairs bathroom will not work. The sink get's hot water but the tub gets nothing. The tub has a single handle moen fixture. The cold water comes out fine but when you turn the dial to the hot water side, nothing comes out. We at first thought it...

Upstairs bathroom sink slow drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, again I am at my end with this sink... but still can't afford a plumber! It is the only drain in the house that has this problem. I just tried using my hose and a small nozzel to put high pressure water through the drain in an attempt to unclog it... well here is the funny thing......

Kitchen sink overflowing from upstairs water [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a two story house and my downstairs kitchen sink is overflowing every time we use the upstairs toliets, shower or washing machine. It does not overflow if we use the downstairs bathroom or dishwasher. We called a plumber to get an estimate and they said something is clogged in the drain...

View more questions Search