Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shwaya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2012, 03:35 PM
    Depression is hard to Explain
    Hi all this is totally new to me so lets see if this will help.

I am a 41 yrs old women married for 23 yrs and I have had mild depression but I lived with it sine I was 17. But... 7yrs ago I developed Severe Advanced Disk Degeneration and well I was bed ridden for 3yrs before they would finally do the surgery and well while I was bed ridden I fell into a bad place I did nothing but sleep... so finally I have the surgery and now my back is better my my head is not. We then move to another province in Canada and well after being here a year and being on disablitly for this long also I started rehab and THEN I find out on May 5th my husband of 23 yrs is having an affair on me . He said he was not attracted to me and that he is not in love with me anymore so myself esteem is gone and then that didn't help. But now after talking and counseling we are working this out but he came to me last night after his counselor and said that he does not understand depression and can I help him understand it.

I hope someone is still reading after me babbling but I am all alone here in BC and just need to talk I guess thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2012, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwaya View Post
    hi all this is totally new to me so lets see if this will help.

i am a 41 yrs old women married for 23 yrs and i have had mild depression but i lived with it sine i was 17. but.... 7yrs ago i developed Severe Advanced Disk Degeneration and well i was bed ridden for 3yrs before they would finally do the surgery and well while i was bed ridden i fell into a bad place i did nothing but sleep.... so finally i have the surgery and now my back is better my my head is not. We then move to another province in Canada and well after being here a year and being on disablitly for this long also i started rehab and THEN i find out on May 5th my husband of 23 yrs is having an affair on me . he said he was not attracted to me and that he is not in love with me anymore so my self esteem is gone and then that didn't help. but now after talking and counseling we are working this out but he came to me last night after his counselor and said that he does not understand depression and can i help him understand it.

i hope someone is still reading after me babbling but i am all alone here in BC and just need to talk i guess thanks !!

What is your question - this is a Q and A site. Do you need to explain depression to him, something else.

Your counselor, who knows you both, should be able to explain it as it relates to your marriage.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 18, 2012, 04:04 PM
    I'm not sure what you are asking us to help you with. Could you please clarify your question for us?
    Burtney_682 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Sep 18, 2012, 07:09 PM
    Depression is a very hard thing to explain. The way that I would describe my depression is that I have ups and downs. For a week I'll feel great like I can conquer the world. Then I'll wake up one morning and I feel like everything that I do is a struggle. Being social, getting chores done, handling any amount of stress. I sleep a lot and feel sluggish. I often feel very alone despite family and friends.

I would tell your husband that there are times when you just feel very very sad and that it can be a fight to get out of that stage (if that is how you feel, just an idea).

I'm sorry that things are so rough for you right now. Make sure to go outside everyday in the sun, take a deep breath and appreciate what's around you. Try to get rid of negative thoughts. Make an effort to find a positive in everything. When you start criticizing yourself, just stop and think of something else. Find a hobby or something that you enjoy.

I try to remember that feelings are fleeting. They pass. I definitely know what you mean when you say you just need to talk. Lay it all out here!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 18, 2012, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Burtney_682 View Post
    Depression is a very hard thing to explain. The way that I would describe my depression is that I have ups and downs. For a week I'll feel great like I can conquer the world. Then I'll wake up one morning and I feel like everything that I do is a struggle. Being social, getting chores done, handling any amount of stress. I sleep a lot and feel sluggish. I often feel very alone despite family and friends.
    That sounds like a typical case of Bipolar Depression. I'm not sure that is what the OP might be experiencing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard to explain. Please read. [ 5 Answers ]

I noticed lately that my central air/heat has been been going on and off Several times before it actually shuts off when the air is on. Tonight it Came on and went off once real quick and right back on. Then I smelt The heat on (dust burning) ,but the compressor was running. The ...

Finding it hard to cope with depression! [ 3 Answers ]

I really need help here, I'm finding it so hard to cope, I have got severe depression and I just don't know how to deal with it, when I talk to people about it, it's like they don't understand it, I get accused of attention seeking I have been receiving sick pay at work because my doctor thinks...

How to explain Depression to my husband [ 9 Answers ]

Hey all I just need some help on how to explain depression to my husband, I was diagnosed recently with depression after yr's of cutting myself, I finally decided to change my ways and have been trying to stop the cutting which has lead to me being depressed but I am finding it near impossible...

Physical Depression more than Emotional Depression [ 3 Answers ]

I have a hard time getting up in the morning, I feel like I have no energy. I'm not just tired but drained of anything to make me get up. I also have been having a hard time remembering things, dizzy spells, nausea and weakness when lifting things. I do have some emotional depression but not as...

View more questions Search