Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KITTYKAT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Changing a child's name
    Do I have the right to change my children's surname without applying to do it by deedpoll. Currently my children have there fathers surname, however they refer to themselves by my surname, he does have PR and would not allow them to use my name if I asked him. They have no contact with him and have not seen him for almost 3yrs (his choice!) the children do not wish to continue using his name however I don't seem to be able to find out if I can do this until they are of an age where they can legally change there names themselves. Please advice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 06:43 AM
    Please tell us where you are at?? Since here in TN, USA I have no idea what a deedpool is, it is nothing we do for a name change.

And since the rules from Canada, to the US to India to Ireland or Iceland all differ and we have people from all those places here, it will help to know which law you want to know about.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2007, 06:52 AM
    As Chuck pointed out where you reside has a bearing. In the US one can use any name they want as long as there is no intent to defraud. So, there is no problem in the US.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child's safety [ 6 Answers ]

I have a question I wanted to just push around to see others thoughts. A friend of mine is a alcoholic. She has openly admitted this, and has tried to get help from AA. When she get's in to the program she seems worse. She'll call my house crying drunk all hours of the day saying she can't...

Changing an adopted child's first name? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi me and my husband are just about to start the adoption process we are looking to adopt a young child in nottingham we have got our first meeting on the 20th we have a few questions to ask but one question we want to ask but don't want to feel silly so please can you tell us. We would like to...

Unwanted name child's change [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm having a problem with my ex wanting to change my son's last name to to her new husbands my ex and I don't talk any more dew to allot of different reasons I don't have parental wrights for him and it looks from all the info I have read that there isn't much I can do to stop her any help on...

Devistated by child's actions [ 1 Answers ]

My partners son has conduct disorder, as has been putting us through hell with the lying, cheating, stealing, tantrums, hurting people and animals, etc... etc... NOw, he has topped the lot. I have been charge with hurting him. He told the school I tried to strangle him, then dragged him around...

Child's name change [ 5 Answers ]

Me and my husband want my son's name changed to our last name but the biological father did not sign paternity papers or the birth certificate does he have to be notified and how do we begin the process?

View more questions Search