Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lacey19 Posts: 193, Reputation: 9

Mar 9, 2007, 03:07 AM
    7 days late but test was negative!
    Hi Im Lacey I'm 19 and been with my partner for the past 15 months. We have never used any protection mainly because I was under the thought I couldn't have children. Jus under 2 years before I met my partner I had a misscarriage I was very young, I just turned 16.

I have had 3 stomach surgerys 1 to removed my apendix 1 to removed a cyst from my ovary which was the size of a tennis ball. It had twisted my tubes but the doctor said that I should be fine and I could still have children. I then had a camera put in my stomach as I continued to have stomach pains. My periods have been up the wall for the past couple of years but I've never been this late.

I have been getting period pains but no period. I did a test after I was 4 days late and it showed negative. But still no period. I have put on a lot of weight recently but I think that is due to the fact I had a knee operation 5 weeks ago and I've been working from home so I've not really been able to get about.

I really need help and advise I don't know what to do next.

Many thanks
    ghost56 Posts: 283, Reputation: 26

Mar 9, 2007, 03:52 AM
    I would say go and see your doctor and ask him to take a pregnancy blood test, it is more accurate than a urine test. Good luck.
    Lacey19 Posts: 193, Reputation: 9

Mar 9, 2007, 03:58 AM
    Thing is I went ot see my doctor yest and he has sent me for a blood test to check my thyroid and to see if I'm diabetic. I've never been this late before.
    ghost56 Posts: 283, Reputation: 26

Mar 9, 2007, 04:23 AM
    A blood test to check your thyroid, will not tell if you are pregnant, they need to take a specific test to measure the hcg in your blood, I would go back and ask if they can take a pregnancy blood test.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Lacey,

If the doctor ordered a thyroid panel, most likely he is looking for thyroid problems. Not pregnancy. A pregnancy test is a completely different test. When he orders the test he tells the lab which test to do. The lab then does the test that is ordered. Unless the doctor specifically asks for a pregancy test, the lab will not complete that test.

So, you need to have what is called a serum pregnancy test. That is just a fancy name for a blood test for pregnancy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

2 1/2 weeks late and negative pregnancy test [ 43 Answers ]

Ok, so I took a pregnancy test at home when my period was 9 days late and it was negative. I have never missed a period before or been late, EVER! I am now 12 days late but want to wait until Sunday to take another one to be sure. I have had very light cramping for the past 2 and a half weeks along...

15 Days Late & HPT Are Negative [ 6 Answers ]

My period was due on Feb 21 and I have not started my period yet. I am now 15 days past due and all of the HPT have been negative. I had a qualitative HCG done on Feb. 20 (one day before my period) and it was negative as well. The only "real" symptoms I have are my breast are slightly sore and as...

I am 5 days late, no symptoms, negative HPT. [ 2 Answers ]

HI, I am on CD 36 right now, with 28 to 31 day cycles. I have never been this late. The thing is though is that Im not experiencing any symptoms besides some cramping and tiredness. Well, actually my breasts started hurting a little today, and some waves of nausea here and there. I took a...

Late but the test was negative [ 1 Answers ]

My last period was on the 4th of January. I'm usually very regular but I'm about 5 days late. I took 2 home pregnancy tests and they were both negative. I don't have any signs of pregnancy so I don't know what's wrong with me but I'm terribly afraid. I plan on taking another test tomorrow morning....

Late period and a negative test [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm debbie, I'm a week late on my period, I've done a test this morning and it's negative, I'm so confused can any body advise me what to do?

View more questions Search