Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rjhiggi Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2012, 08:25 AM
    False positive hair drug test cocoaine
    I took a hair folical test and cane up possitive for cocaine and benzoylecgonine. I have had extensive dental work in the past 6 months and regularly see a pain management doctor for synthetic cortizone shots in my back twice a month. I do take hydrocodone 10/325mg on a daily basis as prescribed. I am a female with very long hair. I have been clean from any illegal drugs for 8 months. I have taken UA's once to twice a month for the last 8 months with only 2 even showing the hydrocodone. Otherwise I've been clean. Why am I testing dirty, is this a false reading or could there have been something in the dental proceedures &/or pain management proceedures causing this to be positive. It was my understanding the test was to run back 3 months. Even if it were 6 months... I should have shown clean.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2012, 01:55 PM
    Benzoylecgonin (BE) is a metabolite of cocaine. Hydrocodone is known to cross-react with a number of drugs at the screen level. What were the measured amounts of BE and CO on the report?

False positives are always possible for any drug test if a confirmation test is not run. That's why the measured amounts are important. That will distinguish one from the other.

Sep 16, 2012, 07:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Benzoylecgonin (BE) is a metabolite of cocaine. Hydrocodone is known to cross-react with a number of drugs at the screen level. What were the measured amounts of BE and CO on the report?

False positives are always possible for any drug test if a confirmation test is not run. That's why the measured amounts are important. That will distinguish one from the other.
    Here is a copy of the report:

Hair Specimen Source: HEAD Initial test GC/MS Confirm
    Substancs .Abuse Panel level test level
    AMIPHETAMINES NEGATIVE 300pg/mg 300 pg/mg
    COCAINE METABOLITE 300pg/mg
    BENZOYLECGONINE POSITIVE 300 pg/mg
    COCAINE POSITIVE 300 pg/mg
    COCAETHYLENE NEGATIVE 300 pg/mg
    MARIJUANA METABOLITE THC NEGATIVE 1pg/mg .1 pg/mg
    OPIATES NEGATIVE 500pg/mg 500 pg/mg
    PHENCYCLIDINE NEGATIVE 300pg/mg
    COCAINE METABOLITE 300pg/mg
    NORCOCAINE 300pg/mg
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2012, 08:55 PM
    Not sure if it's because you ran the information together but this doesn't look like a confirmed test by GC/MS.

Confirmation testing provides a quantity and not simply "positive". The numbers you cited above are the cutoffs for each respective drug. Not test results.

For instance, the BENZOYLECGONINE POSITIVE 300 pg/mg would be followed by a numerical amount in excess of 300.

If you can cover over your personal identifiers and attach a copy to a post I can tell you what type of test was performed and cut through it pretty quick.

Sep 16, 2012, 09:19 PM
    Ll
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2012, 09:46 PM
    I assume this "Substancs .^U^use Panel Initia l OC/MS Confirm" reads Substance Abuse Panel and is imprinted on the top of the page followed by GC/MS?

If so, then this was a "half-test" meaning unconfirmed which would explain the false positive probably related to your prescription for hydrocodone. This does not provide a quantified result which means it was not subjected to GC/MS probably because that test is optional and was not ordered.

You should notify the employer and Quest that the result is in error and demand a confirmation test. That will clear up the issue.

Also, please click on edit above and remove your name and any other personal identifier from the information provided.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 16, 2012, 10:15 PM
    Personal identifying information has been edited out.

Sep 17, 2012, 07:05 AM
    I assume this "Substancs .^U^use Panel Initia l OC/MS Confirm" reads Substance Abuse Panel and is imprinted on the top of the page followed by GC/MS??

If so, then this was a "half-test" meaning unconfirmed which would explain the false positive probably related to your prescription for hydrocodone. This does not provide a quantified result which means it was not subjected to GC/MS probably because that test is optional and was not ordered.

You should notify the employer and Quest that the result is in error and demand a confirmation test. That will clear up the issue.

Also, please click on edit above and remove your name and any other personal identifier from the information provided.
    You cannot believe the relief you have just given me and my family. This is for my inheratance from my father (I've been waiting 10 years for). THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for your expertise and for caring so much for a stranger. God bless you in all you do. You are a fantastic human-being!
    abnesby Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2013, 08:08 PM
    I assume this "Substancs .^U^use Panel Initia l OC/MS Confirm" reads Substance Abuse Panel and is imprinted on the top of the page followed by GC/MS??

Im going through the same thing. Ive been clean a year. I don't know what to do. Any advice?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

False positive on a drug test @ work [ 1 Answers ]

I take Lortab prescribed by my doctor. I am a nurse working at a nursing home. At change of shift, the on-coming nurse questioned a Morphine tablet. Said it "doesnt look right." The DON came & looked. She agreed the pill did not match the others. I was given a drug test. It was negative for...

Document supporting false-positive drug test. [ 1 Answers ]

How might one, who doesn't have access to a doctor, get a note from an authority of some sort, stating the various reasons they may have gotten a false positive result for Methamphetamine on a drug test? One issue is that, the testing strip that was used for the test wasn't passed through any...

What can cause a false positive taking a saylvia swab drug test [ 4 Answers ]

My last swab test came up positive for methadone and its been weeks since I took it how could be

False-Positive Drug Test [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has been in pain mgmt for several years. At his visit on Friday, he was given a UA drug screen and tested positive for cocaine. He had a kidney removed 2 yrs ago due to cancer. He hasn't had any further treatment for that. He is a diabetic and is on glyburide. He also is on...

False positive on a drug test! [ 4 Answers ]

So my boyfriend is on probation and he failed his last drug test due to a poppy seed muffin... Now they are making him call in every day to see if he has to come in and take another one. His probation officer told him he is going to be on it until August 31, which is a major problem. It's a...

View more questions Search