Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Accident_Prone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2012, 10:40 PM
    How to deal with my best friend, who isn't who she used to be?
    Okay so this will be a long story, but I'll try to cut it short. So, I've been friends with my best friend(lets call her Molly) since we were in elementary school, and she's always been the outgoing, kind of good goody girl who rarely thought about dating, let alone having sex with every guy she has a crush on, but now she is completely different. Then we reached high school, and she became friends with one of those girls that goes and parties(gets drunk and has sex) like every other weekend, and molly constantly thinks about sex, and every time she had a crush on a guy, she would have comments like (I want to bang him, or I want to lose my V card). So we are juniors now which means we are 16-17 and she's been dating a guy let's call him, Alex,(who I COMPLETELY disapprove of) who is 22 years old.
    And before they started dating, she absolutely despised him and wanted nothing to do with him. Like she would text me and ask me to hang, just so she'd have an excuse to not hang with him. And then BOOM one day they're dating and she didn't even tell me the day they started dating. I found out from one of her new friends. Also he's disrespectful, and is constantly starting stupid fights with her, and even broke up with her for a few days because he wanted to date someone else, then went right back to 'Molly' when it didn't work out. In all honesty I think she's only dating him because she feels bad for him because she is always saying "how rough of a life he has, and how badly his past gfs treated him, and how bad she feels for him" And it's not like he's trying to make his life better, he smokes pot and cigarettes, drinks, is 22 barely made it out of high school, hasn't made an attempt to go to college, and doesn't have a job.
    Also since they began dating, me and 'molly' have gotten into so many fights over alex because I hate him and she 'loves' him. She used to be really close to her mom and really loved her. Ever since she started hanging with her 'new friends' and 'Alex' she's been acting not herself and I feel like she is turning into one of the girls she said she'd never be. She doesn't even care about her mom any more, and wants nothing more than to be 18, move out, and get a house to live in with Alex and her new friend. I hate to admit it but I agree with her mom because her mom hates Alex too, and forbid them to date. Sometimes I really just want to tell her mom so she knows.
    Molly knows I hate Alex, and she always said that because I'm her best friend, I'm the one that keeps her from doing 'bad things' because I would be disappointed in her(which I am). And she always said that "she knows about the age difference, shes not going to do 'bad things'' HOWEVER, I got a rude wake up call when she texts me "Okay I hate to tell you, and you might be disappointed but, I lost my v card tonight"
    IDK how she wants me to respond to that, so I just haven't because I just don't even want to talk to her right now. Like how should I respond "OH no problem, congrats I'm proud! Thanks for lying to me, have fun, hopefully he doesn't F*** up your life any more than he already has. Bye Best Friend!" Sorry if that sounds over dramatic but that is what i feel about it. I really just don't know what to say to her, I really need some help and advice. Other than the fact that the relationship is illegal, it's just straight up wrong, and "Alex" is screwing up her life... literally... okay well some help would be very welcomed. Because I don't want to lose my best friend, but in a sense I already have because she is a completely different person now.
    Please help, thanks if you read this whole story!
    TheKidOfTheWise Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Sep 16, 2012, 05:13 PM
    This is quite common among young girls especially teens. Your friend is being ignorant. I have a cousin who had a simar but worse problem, he got a girl pregnant at 14, has a 9 year old son and is in jail. Basically, there is much yet little you can do. She might think that maybe hje can mak

Sep 16, 2012, 05:20 PM
    Make him a better person. But that is Bull. She thinks that "moving out at 18" and moving out with her boyfriend is a smart desicsion. It is not. She will cause a total destruction to her future. You need her to understand. What happens if he gets her pregnant and just leaves her? She will be forced to care or abort the baby. Neither is an easy descion. She is at that age when she thinks she knows what she is getting into but in reality she doesn't. Your job as her best friend is to make her understand this. If she still acts like an idiot then just stay by herside. Becaude most likely she will get hurt, and your job is to help her when it happens. She won't fully undestand until she experiences it. So let her be but tell her of the consequences.
    Accident_Prone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
    Thank you so much! I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who thinks she doesn't know what she's talking about! And yes even though I know this relationship won't end well, I've been trying to stay by her side when they fight, and I've been trying to tell her the consequences but she really is ignorant! She keeps trying to guilt me into liking him, by saying that "because I'm the best friend, I am supposed to like all her boyfriends, and approve of them." Well as the best friend I am going to try and show her what's best for her. I just really hope she understands what she's getting herself into before it's too late! Anyway thank you so much for your comment! Hopefully I can get it through her head!

Sep 16, 2012, 05:41 PM
    Just don't give up on her, that's all.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 17, 2012, 05:14 PM
    What she is doing is just dumb and the man is a creep. I'd tell her that I hope she is using protection and ask her what she is going to do if she gets pregnant. I'd ask her how she is going to afford an apartment when she turns 18, Who is working?
    Be her friend, be there when she falls because she will.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I deal with my husband's female friend [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all, I am in a bit of a weird place. My husband has a female friend that he has known for about a year now. He started talking to her on the internet and eight months later we ended up moving to her town and we now live on her street (about 3 houses down from her). Point is, my husband has...

She says she needs space, & I'm now a "best friend." How do I deal? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! This is my first question and I'd like all the opinions I can get. I'm 22 and my girlfriend for 3 years & 4 months is 17 (18 in October). We've dated all through her high school career while I was dealing with college. As the years passed by, we had many incredible moments and we fell in...

BEST FRIEND .what's her deal? [ 7 Answers ]

OK so me and my friend sarah have been best friends for over a year. We do everything together. We never really had boyfrieds.. we were always the single girls in our group. Well we started bickering about a month or 2 ago because I wanted to get back with my ex boyfriend and she got mad.. so I...

How do you deal with jealous friend? [ 1 Answers ]

I just realized someone who I thought was a friend was actually jealous of me. Jealous of my job and the fact I had a great girlfriend. I'm not quite sure on how to deal with people like him to be honest. This is probably one of the more aggressive cases in that I don't think he can stand me. I...

How to deal with Friend that may be having an affair [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone, My mother brought me up with integrity, good ethics and morals. My father had an affair when we moved to NY and I was in grade school. I saw how this destroyed her and our family. My parents are now divorced and I have a good relationship with my father, however, I have...

View more questions Search