Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rebecca1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 8, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Marriage - 10 year age difference
    I am 43 female Christian from USA. He is 33 male Muslim from India. Should we marry. I am concerned about the age and faith difference.
    Jezz182 Posts: 12, Reputation: 0

Mar 8, 2007, 09:54 PM
    I think that if you really love each other, age and faith won't be a problem. Take it slow, though. You sound like you are rushing it.
    vitalcell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 11:17 PM
    You Both Obviously Have A lot Of Differences, But If You've Been Able To Get Along And Respect Each Others Different Beliefs And Opinions Enough To Believe You Want To Marry Then I Would Say Go Ahead, But You Will Always Have To Remember To Respect And Not Judge Each Others Faith And Decisions Which Could Get Difficult, Like Jezz Said Take It Slow.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 05:30 AM
    Have u discussed country of residence?
    And how to go about your different faith?
    And if you have children which religion would you chose for them?
    aalex2973 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 10:50 PM
    Me and my husband are 20 years apart. He is 41 and I'm 22. Our marriage is GREAT!! I love our relationship! It is the BEST. I have dated a lot and he is the best man ever. I say just take is slow and you guys will be great!
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 11:27 PM
    The facts are that one in two American marriages end in divorce. To carry that statistic a little further, note that the overall divorce rate among Muslims in North America is at an astounding 31%. Add to that the differences in religion and age and your marriage could be a statistic.

I think that if you are seriously considering marriage then you should take your time to ensure that you both agree on what marriage means to you. There is a high incidence of domestic violence in Muslim marriages. Muslim men often feel it is okay to hit their wives and children. Have you discussed your beliefs in this area?

Do you know what his relationship is with his parents, brothers, sisters, etc. Have you discussed what you would do if you felt you were having marital difficulties? Do you know his friends? If so, do you like them or do they seem very different from him? Friends can be an accurate reflection of a person's temperament, likes and dislikes.

What is the financial situation like? Money problems can ruin the best of marriages. Do you agree on who works, how to budget, where money should be spent, etc? It is my understanding that Muslim men control all of the spending, and they often limit what the woman can have and do.

What about children? What are both of your views on child rearing, discipline, religious upbringing, etc. Most Muslim men believe that if the marriage ends that the children are theirs. Do you agree with this? Do you know and accept that Islam allows multiple marriages and expects total obedience to her husband from a woman? These are all things that should be discussed and resolved before considering marriage.

I think you really need to take your time and not jump into anything. Do some research on the internet about Muslim American marriage and divorce. Make a well informed decision because whatever you do will affect the rest of your life.

Good luck.

Didi
    messyandpainful Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 01:55 PM
    It depends on what you mean by a 'christian' and what he means by a 'muslim'.

If by a Christian you mean that you are trusting in the death of JC to make you right with God and are living by the Bible, then no you should not even think of marrying this guy.

The Bible makes it clear in 1 Corinthians 7 that Christians are not to marry non-christians. So if that is the case then its cut and dry.

If however by 'Christian' you mean that you live in a 'christian country' but don't have a committed faith yourself, then 1 Corinthians 7 would not apply to you, so its your choice.

Hope that helps. Not an easy answer I know, but the Bible is very clear on it.
    jasara Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2011, 02:00 PM
    I hope you will not take this wrong but it is very likely that you may end up changing to his religion.If you are a Christian remember the bible advises us not to be unequally yoked meaning we cannot get married to those of other faiths.It is up to you but nothing in this world is worth giving up the Lord Jesus Christ for.I hope this helps and do not feel condemned but think about you eternal life than this life which is temporary.Stay Blessed.I hope you will make the right decision.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2011, 04:44 PM

Jasara, I see you are fairly new here so I just wanted to remind you to check out the dates of the original posts and responses prior to giving a response of your own. This question was asked more than 4 years ago, so there is really no point in responding.

Thanks, Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Age Difference [ 35 Answers ]

I'm 20 years old and I have been speaking to this girl who I recently found out was 16. We like each other, do you think its wrong getting into a relationship with her? Is the age gap too big?

Is my 5 year old son gifted or just a quick learner or is their a difference [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 5 year old son who picks up on things very quickly he has not started kindergarten yet he will start next year. He can count to 100 by ones and by 10's , he can count to 15 in Spanish he knows the oceans of the earth can spell his name his brothers name mommy daddy grandma and grandpa. ...

Does age difference matter sexually? [ 5 Answers ]

I am 34 and my live in boyfriend is 43. Sex with us has never been a 5 days a week kind of situation (we have only been together for 5 months). Now.. if I had my choice it would be everyday! But long story short is that sex just is not important to him. He says it never has been.(when we first met...

Age difference in relationships? [ 2 Answers ]

What should be the maximun age difference in relationships between man and a woman? Is there any boundary for the age gap in marriage?

Age Difference [ 7 Answers ]

I am 27 years old and my partner is 28 years older than me.We have been dating almost 2 years.I am really in love with him. But he is a control freak. I can't spend my time with my friends.He doesn't let me visit my parents because they live in another city.Nobody can come to my house because...

View more questions Search