Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samanthaxo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2012, 01:32 PM
    Salt and ice challenge frostbite
    I know I am an idiot but I've seen the videos on YouTube and wanted to see what it was like, at first my arm went all swollen and white and now after 24 hours it has gone down but is a pinky/purple-ish colour.. It hurts to touch and even the air makes it burn? Its on my arm in the middle? Any help?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 01:33 PM
    In two to four weeks it will feel better but a scar will remain.

You have a major burn on your arm. Go to the doctor.

Sep 15, 2012, 02:01 PM
    Its worse in person and hurts loads
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 02:06 PM
    I've seen bad burns before. Go to a doctor and get this treated before you end up with a nasty infection as the layers of skin peel off, allowing germs to enter your body.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 02:08 PM
    We don't need to see it, we know what this is. We get a few posts a week from people just like you, people that were stupid enough to do this to themselves.

The answer is the same no matter how much you regret doing this. This is a burn, and like any burn it needs time to heal. It will leave a scar. That's the price you pay for doing it. Hopefully that scar and the pain you're feeling now, will be a reminder the next time you want to do something stupid.

See your doctor, he may be able to give you medication or cream to hep with the pain. Sadly, he can't undo what you've already done.

Live and learn.

Sep 15, 2012, 02:12 PM
    It not something ill regret, try not to regret things..
    I have learned by it so I don't think ill be doing the cinnamon challenge anymore. I only had the salt and ice on for about 20 seconds and it didn't hurt until I ran my arm under cold water and I guess the freezing weather outside would have helped, but thanks anyway
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 05:08 PM
    If you don't regret this you are just plain stupid, we need to regret silly and stupid things we do. Things we do without proper investigation and things that cause self harm for no reason.

You go to the doctor, if this gets infected, it will get worst and cause more issues.

It will hurt for a few weeks, slowly getting better.

There will be a scar you will have most likely for the rest of your life.

Sep 16, 2012, 05:29 AM
    I was talking to my friend earlier today, and she done it and it hurt for a few days and it hasn't left her a scar, and she just left it so I'm going to see what happens, + don't go there.. this was not self harming myself, I done it as a dare and a laugh,
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 16, 2012, 05:53 AM
    Guess it was not funny, depends on how bad the burn is. I have a friend who was shot, he was fine with a few bandages. Another boy was shot and he died before he got to the hospital.

It depends on how bad your burn is.

You were silly enough to do it, so make another poor silly choice and don't get it treated.

I hope you don't make all your medical choices in your very short life by going on what others were able to get over. We have people here that have bad scars.
    Kit-Kat_Monkey Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Dec 7, 2012, 12:14 PM
    Live and learn. Don't regret. You live by your mistakes, now he or she knows better. We shouldn't regret things because they could turn out to be the best things of our lives. Granted, this most likely will not be the best thing ever, but still. Just have fun and stop being a grouchy pants @Fr_Chuck.
    Pets Expert

Dec 7, 2012, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit-Kat_Monkey View Post
    Live and learn. Don't regret. You live by your mistakes, now he or she knows better. We shouldn't regret things because they could turn out to be the best things of our lives. Granted, this most likely will not be the best thing ever, but still. Just have fun and stop being a grouchy pants @Fr_Chuck.
    So you're basically telling kids to burn themselves by doing a stupid challenge, because they should just have fun. Maybe they should drink until they pass out and let some guy take advantage of them, after all, they're just having fun. Teen sex should be on the list too, it's just fun, who cares about the consequences (sarcasm).

There's a difference between having fun, and doing stupid things. The salt ice challenge doesn't fall into the category of "just have fun".

Dec 7, 2012, 01:31 PM
    No I am saying that if you do something stupid, you shouldn't regret it, you should learn from your mistakes, and not do it again.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 7, 2012, 01:36 PM
    No I am saying that if you do something stupid, you shouldn't regret it, you should learn from your mistakes, and not do it again.
    If you do something stupid, you should not only regret it, but vow to think about the ramifications first so that you never do something stupid ever again.

Dec 7, 2012, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    If you do something stupid, you should not only regret it, but vow to think about the ramifications first so that you never do something stupid ever again.
    Seriously people will you just chill out! I have my opinions and you have yours, so stop going all Darth Vader.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 7, 2012, 01:46 PM
    Seriously people will you just chill out! I have my opinions and you have yours, so stop going all Darth Vader.
    Seriously, girl, just chill yourself. We're a lot older than you are and know how these "stupid" experiments one doesn't regret leads to more stupid experiments that can mess you up for the rest of your life. It's like never learning after doing one jackass stunt.
    Pets Expert

Dec 7, 2012, 02:33 PM
    No I am saying that if you do something stupid, you shouldn't regret it,
    If you don't regret the stupid things you do, you never learn from them, you just keep doing stupid things.

Regret is that little voice that tells you "That was stupid. Let's not do that again".

Yes, you have a right to your opinion, as do we, but telling kids that aren't even smart enough to not do a challenge that causes burns and scars, that they should do what they want, and not regret it, is the worst advice I've ever heard on this site.

Let me guess, you're 12-14, right?

Dec 8, 2012, 02:50 PM
    First of all you learn from your mistakes, that is all I am saying. You are taking my comments way out of proportion. It's truly unfathomable as to how you are even able to type these messages, because you obviously aren't reading mine. Oh and for the record, you are older that me, and you do have a lot more experience with things, but I am a kid, and no one knows mistakes better than a kid.. I have made a lot of them but guess what! I don't regret them, because they have led me to some of the best things of my life, and I have learned plenty from them, and actually made my best friends. Oh and a word of advise, you shouldn't cuss in front of children.

Dec 8, 2012, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    If you don't regret the stupid things you do, you never learn from them, you just keep doing stupid things.

Regret is that little voice that tells you "That was stupid. Let's not do that again".

Yes, you have a right to your opinion, as do we, but telling kids that aren't even smart enough to not do a challenge that causes burns and scars, that they should do what they want, and not regret it, is the worst advice I've ever heard on this site.

Let me guess, you're 12-14, right?
    Oh and @Alty? Regret is not that little voice inside your head telling you "That was stupid lets not do that again." Regret is thinking back on your life and wishing you could do the bad parts over and thinking "I wish that I wouldn't have done that" But you know what? If you wouldn't have done it, you wouldn't be who you are. And once again, you people can't read. I said you shouldn't regret, never once did I say that you should do what you want. You just shouldn't regret the things you have done, and try not to do the things you think you will.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 8, 2012, 02:53 PM
    So murderer's shouldn't regret killing their victims?
    Pets Expert

Dec 8, 2012, 02:56 PM
    First of all you learn from your mistakes, that is all I am saying. You are taking my comments way out of proportion. It's truly unfathomable as to how you are even able to type these messages, because you obviously aren't reading mine. Oh and for the record, you are older that me, and you do have a lot more experience with things, but I am a kid, and no one knows mistakes better than a kid.. I have made a lot of them but guess what! I don't regret them, because they have led me to some of the best things of my life, and I have learned plenty from them, and actually made my best friends. Oh and a word of advise, you shouldn't cuss in front of children.
    Here's something that will shock you. I was a kid once too, and I also made mistakes. So, if no one knows mistakes better than a kid, and I'm older with more experience, then it stands to reason that my advice is a lot more valid, since I've had the experience of making mistakes as a kid, and grew up to learn more.

Where did I cuss? This site actually doesn't allow cussing. Any cuss words are automatically deleted by the system. So I'm curious. Where did I cuss?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to cure salt and ice frostbite? [ 60 Answers ]

What to do after salt and ice challenge to prevent scares, bubbles, or swelling? Please help me it hurts a lot :`(

Ice/Salt = FrostBite? [ 18 Answers ]

I understand that when you pour salt on your upper fore arm, then apply (with pressure) a common ice cube for period of 1-3 min frostbite will occur. The amount of salt and the length of time play key factors in the severity of the so called... Reaction. I guess my question is how do you treat the...

Can a salt and ice burn or frostbite cause cancer? [ 3 Answers ]

I was so stupid, I let my friends talk me into doing this and now I have an ugly purple burn... it hurts too! Later I began to read it was frostbite and I got scared, but then I came across someone on the Internet that said I can cause cancer? So can it?

How To Heal Salt And Ice Challenge FrostBite? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok So I Was Watching A Couple Videos On YouTube About The Salt And Ice Challenge And I Thought They Were Pretty Funny So I Decided On Making My Own Video^o^ Long Story Short I Held The Ice For A Very Long Time And Now It Kind of Hurts Like HELL How Could I Heal It!

View more questions Search