Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MIKERMK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2012, 05:44 PM
    Do I pay taxes on back pay I just was awarded ssdi and will receive over 40,000.00
    I just received a favorable decision on my application for ssdi title 11 according to ssa I will receive over 40,000.00
    I am single with no other income will I be exspected to pay taxes on it 0
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 14, 2012, 07:30 PM
    On 40,000, your federal tax liability will be about $4,230.
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Sep 15, 2012, 08:13 PM
    Also, you need to look at IRS Pub 915 and review the lump-sum election which will let you refigure the taxes based on prior year(s) returns if any part of the settlement related to prior years. It may or may not be beneficial.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to pay taxes on ssdi? [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have to pay taxes on ssdi for 2010?

SSDI says they over paid me 3,000 from back pay, how much will they take from my mon [ 0 Answers ]

SSDI say's they over paid me 3,000 from back pay, how much can they take from my monthly check...

Can my ssdi back pay be taken cause I owe property taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

If my mortgage is in default, and I am doing a shot- sale to avoid foreclosure can they take my SSDI back payments cause I owe back property taxes?

If awarded child support during a divorce and the father moves back do he still pay [ 3 Answers ]

If awarded child support during a divorce and the father moves back into the house where the child resides is he still responsible for paying the court ordered child support? I am asking because my ex-husband moved back into the house and would only write a check for half of the mortgage because in...

Do I have to pay back disability company monies I receive from SS for back pay [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know what to do. I just received SS after applying for 5 years. I just received my back pay from SS as well. Now, the disability company that was paying me wants 100% of my back pay and my son's dependent check as well. I thought this was protected under 42 USC Sec 407 (a). ...

View more questions Search