Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garboozle Posts: 139, Reputation: -5

Sep 14, 2012, 03:33 PM
    How accurate are hair drug test from the armpits
    Say if a male of about 5'11 160 was tested and he smoked cannabis once a month the previous four months, and was an infrequent user the months before hand what would his chances of passing be?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 14, 2012, 04:29 PM
    Say if a male doing that, why were they using armpit hair ?

But most likely the prior use will show up.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by garboozle View Post
    Say if a male of about 5'11 160 was tested and he smoked cannabis once a month the previous four months, and was an infrequent user the months before hand what would his chances of passing be?
    Hair is a very poor medium for the detection of cannabis metabolites. Usually the use must be frequent and cumulative over a period. Axillary hair has about the same incorporation rate as scalp hair but a slower growth rate which makes the detection time longer. It is not likely that metabolites made it into any of your hair but is remotely possible.

In regard to your question of accuracy, that relates to the specific drug tested for. For cannabis metabolites it isn't accurate except in heavy users.

DuPont 2008, Random Student Drug Tests Are They Effective for Identifying Occasional Drug Users? p. 8

Galanter & Kleber, 2011 Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Substance Abuse, American Psychiatric Publishing, Wash, DC, p. 58

Marilyn A. Huestis (2007) Human Cannabinoid Pharmacokinetics. Chem Biodivers. 2007 August; 4(8): 1770–1804. Sec 3.5

Sep 14, 2012, 06:44 PM
    Thank you Dr. Bill, feel slightly optimistic after hearing that. It's not till Thursday So I have a little bit of time. Are all the shampoo products a bunch of BS as I suspect?
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2012, 06:59 PM
    I think so. But that's a little beyond my scope of knowledge. Hear quite a few bad reports and the success reports fall within a range of where they would have passed anyway. That's second hand information and I know of no recent research on the subject.

Sep 20, 2012, 09:16 AM
    Hey Dr, don't know if your still following this thread but the test was today. They took it from my head rather than my pits... which one would me more likely to hold metabolites?
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2012, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by garboozle View Post
    Hey Dr, don't know if your still following this thread but the test was today. They took it from my head rather than my pits... which one would me more likely to hold metabolites?
    Arm pits retain metabolites far longer (due to growth rate) but absorb THC at about same rate. Your better off with scalp hair as the metabolites grow out of range must faster.

Sep 24, 2012, 06:52 PM
    To all interested parties. I passed. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Will I pass a hair drug test with dyed hair? [ 1 Answers ]

My work is going to start hair testing for a govt contract in a couple weeks. I smoked half a bowel every other weekend for about a year. I quit 20 days ago. I dye my hair which is half way done my back. Do you think I have a chance of passing? Or should I start looking for another job? Thanks

Hair drug test [ 3 Answers ]

I took a charge(I inhaled a small amount of weed from a blunt) this was four months ago, I have to take a hair est so, I have a bald head so hair will most likely come from mt arm pit or facial hair, will I pass the hair drug test

Can anyone tell me which test is more accurate:a scalp hair test or a body hair test? [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me which test is more accurate: a scalp hair test or a body hair test. We have 2 test that were taken on the SAME day & 1 shows positive for methamphetamine and 1 shows negative. It should show negative! We are at a loss as to how a test that is so accurate has 2 different...

Hair Drug Test [ 3 Answers ]

Can I pass a hair drug test if I'm not a frequent drung user?

Accurate Drug Test Results [ 4 Answers ]

I gave my 16 year old daughter a urine drug test to test for illicit drug use (mainly marijana). I watched her deposit the urine into the cup to make sure she did not dilute the urine. The urine was white and clear. It had no yellow tint and did NOT smell like urine. What would cause the urine...

View more questions Search