Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lionsden123456 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2012, 02:09 PM
    How do I get cats to stop peeing on the carpet?
    I am having challenges with my cats urinating on the carpet. I have tried several products on the market to remove the stains and orders. They help but the stains and smell still lingers. No matter how many times I clean where they soiled the carpet they continue to urinate usually in the same place. I have tried putting dirt in the catbox and vinegar on the areas they pee but this has not worked either. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 14, 2012, 02:33 PM
    Have the cats been fixed? How many cats and what gender?
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Sep 14, 2012, 02:44 PM
    Have they been checked for medical issues? UTI or kidney problems.
    Do you know if it is just one cat or all of them.

Sep 14, 2012, 02:51 PM
    The cats are both male, 7 years old from the same litter. One has had medical issues in the past with a blocked urinary track the required immediate medical attention. Not sure if one or both are urinating on the carpet.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 14, 2012, 02:52 PM
    Have they been neutered?

Sep 14, 2012, 05:00 PM
    Yes they have been neutered.
    Cats Expert

Sep 14, 2012, 05:14 PM
    When male cats have history of blocking, there is always a risk of reblocking.
    Of course if a cat is blocked he will not be urinating and will be pretty sick.
    That doesn't mean that this cat or the other for that matter can't be having some urinary issues. It goes with the territory.
    Because you have a cat with that history, I would take note as to who is doing it and when.
    Take notice for the signs of UTI, frequent, scant urination, constantly posturing to urinate with no results, etc.
    I would rule out the medical before I chalked it up to behavior.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 14, 2012, 05:18 PM
    Had you changed litter brands when this started or placement of the box(es)? Is there anything new or changed or different that upset the cats' world?

Yes, a vet check for a uti or other physical complication would be a good idea.

LadySam should be able to give you the name of a cleaning product to remove the odor.
    Cats Expert

Sep 14, 2012, 05:33 PM
    Cat urine is a tough one, the last thing I used was Woolite Pet followed by Resolve Triple Oxy and then baking soda left to sit for about 24 hours.
    My children said the smell was gone after the Resolve, but I could swear that I still smelled it.
    A good sense of smell is helpful when you're a parent of teenagers;)

Sep 14, 2012, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Have the cats been fixed? How many cats and what gender?
    Two cats, both male, both have been fixed. I did recently change their litter same brand "Fresh Step" but went from a fine litter mix to a thicker heavier litter. However, they were peeing before I changed the mix. I will try putting the dirt in the litter again and will try the suggestions of the baking soda, resolve, and oxy clean. Hopefully this will do the trick. If not I think a vet trip is in order.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I stop my dog from peeing and pooping on the carpet? [ 1 Answers ]

Our 15 month old dog (Maltese / Yorkie mix) is pad-trained and has been gated to an area in the downstairs of our house. Prior to the last week, she was 100% at either using her pad or going outside. She recently started jumping the gate, and we decided to take it down so she would not get stuck on...

8 Month old Mini Dashund will not stop peeing on Carpet [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 8 month old miniature daschund, we love him to death, but we can’t seem to train him to pee outside. We use treats and praise when he goes, but find he can be outside 20 30 minutes, come back inside and within 5 minutes pee or poop on the carpet. This was hard enough, but now he is...

Dog peeing on carpet [ 4 Answers ]

The dog we dog-sit often pees everyday on our carpet!! Same place(s) everyday! The dog is trained and a super good dog at her house but... at my house pees, every single day and even pooped, sloppy poop today! We take our dog and the guest dog out several times before we leave, we even cut back...

Peeing on the carpet [ 2 Answers ]

I have two female dogs. My female beagle mix has recently started peeing in the living room. We though maybe we weren't leaving them out long enough, so started doing that. We thought maybe we weren't taking them out enough, so started doing that. But this doesn't seem to be the problem. ...

View more questions Search