Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lionsden123456 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2012, 10:54 AM
    How long does a foreclosure stay on your credit report?
    My condo was foreclosed on a year ago. I had tried for two years to do a refinance, loan modification, short sale and had worked with attorneys and real estate agents along the way. In the end the property was sold at auction. I realize my credit will take a massive hit for a few years but does anyone know for how long? Also the fiirst loan on my credit report shows closed do to a foreclosure. The second loan shows active but over 120 days late. I am concerned that the second will continue as active even though the house foreclosed. At the same time I do not want to raise the issue with the bank who might decide to get a judgement on the balance of the second. Anyone have any thoughts here? Not sure if it matters but I reside in California.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
    At least 7 years...
    Magpie95 Posts: 97, Reputation: 14

Sep 17, 2012, 11:03 AM
    Right, 7 years and even then you may have to write in to have it removed. However, typically you can improve your score over that time even with the foreclosure.. if you do everything right after that. It just takes time.

As for the second lien, is it with a different lender or servicer? During a foreclosure, the lender that holds first lien position is paid first. Depending on the details of the auction and who was paid, you could still be on the hook for the second lien.
    lionsden123456 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2012, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie95 View Post
    Right, 7 years and even then you may have to write in to have it removed. However, typically you can improve your score over that time even with the foreclosure..if you do everything right after that. It just takes time.

As for the second lien, is it with a different lender or servicer? During a foreclosure, the lender that holds first lien position is paid first. Depending on the details of the auction and who was paid, you could still be on the hook for the second lien.
    The second is with the same lender.
    Magpie95 Posts: 97, Reputation: 14

Sep 17, 2012, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lionsden123456 View Post
    The second is with the same lender.
    In this case, the second mortgage is usually canceled or "extinguished" in a foreclosure. The bank has to write it off as a loss. Because the mortgage held lists the property as the security backing the loan.. and the property is being foreclosed for payment of the first mortgage with the same lender. Basically, lenders assume a LOT of risk with 2nd liens. This is why they are less common than they were during the sub-prime hay day.

Your lender does have the option of getting a judgment against you for the unpaid second lien. Basically, after the foreclosure is a done deal and the first lien is paid and closed. They can go to court to have a judment held against you to pay the second. This would go on your credit and would have to be paid first before ever getting another mortgage.

However, I am unsure how often banks pursue this avenue... or how often it is awarded by the court. With this day in age, and the condition of the industry. I doubt many of them would choose to do this, but then who knows.

It is also likely that your credit report just hasn't updated for the 2nd lien. Banks process mortgages separately. So, the second lien (since it wasn't part of the foreclosure payment process) could just still be pending a payment... until the internal process at the bank closes it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the mortgage company still report a foreclosure on my credit report ? [ 6 Answers ]

In 2005 I filed bankruptcy and did not reaffirm my mortgage. I am walking away from my house 2010 - can the mortgage company still report a foreclosure on my credit report now, in 2010, even though I am not longer responsible and it was included and is already on my credit report as forgiven back...

Why does my foreclosure not appear on my credit report? [ 2 Answers ]

It has been over 1 year since my home was sold at auction (for more than what I owed). I assumed since my home was considered "abandoned" by the bank and I was told the home was sold that this was considered a foreclosure. However a year later there is still no foreclosure listed on my credit...

How long will judgement in Georgia stay on my credit report [ 1 Answers ]

I have about 3 judgements. I could not appear because I can't afford a lawyer even for bakruptcy. How long will this be on my credit report? I have a mortgage & current with the first but deliquent on the second mortgage on same property.

How long does an unpaid medical bill stay on credit report [ 3 Answers ]

In November of 2001, while I was in college, I was hit by a car. I suffered $28,000 of damage, almost all of which was billed to my parents. Apparently, however, a radiology place took an x-ray and billed me in my dorm. I vacated the dorm after the accident and never got the bill. I have now...

View more questions Search