Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandrawms Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2012, 03:20 PM
    A judgment for a levy is on my property
    My husband and I have been separated for two years. He abandoned me and our home and left and took all of his property with him. I do not know where he lives. There was a civil suit that he was in and he loses the case. He has a judgement against him and now the sheriff has put a levy on the property where I live now here alone. How can I stop them from coming to get my property. They think he still live here in this house and he doesn't. Everything in this house belongs to me. There is nothing here that's his. What do I do?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2012, 04:05 PM
    If his name is on the deed, they can put a lien on it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 13, 2012, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrawms View Post
    My husband and I have been separated for two years. He abandoned me and our home and left and took all of his property with him. I do not know where he lives. There was a civil suit that he was in and he loses the case. He has a judgement against him and now the sheriff has put a levy on the property where i live now here alone. How can I stop them from coming to get my property. They think he still live here in this house and he doesn't. Everything in this house belongs to me. There is nothing here that's his. What do I do?
    What was levied upon? The house or the personal property in it?

If the sheriff has levied upon the house, that would be the first step in selling it. Is there a mortgage? If so, the sheriff cannot sell the property unless the bank is paid out of the proceeds. That's not likely to happen.

If, as is more likely, the levy is upon the personal property, you would apply to the court to dissolve the levy, showing that the property is yours, not your husband's.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 13, 2012, 05:24 PM
    Have you filed for a legal separation ? Have you filed for divorce, I not, of course they think he still lives there.

If his name is on the deed, he still owns a share of the home

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I file a bank levy in Texas (judgment on oral contract for services rendered) [ 1 Answers ]

My company has a judgment for services rendered on an oral contract. The debtor is ignoring us. The court has informed me that we need an attorney to do this. How do I file for a bank levy to collect this debt and what are the fees?

How do I find a bank account to levy on a debtor I have a judgment on? [ 23 Answers ]

I have a judgment on a debtor, I want to find the bank they do business at. What do I need to put in a letter to the banks, a "blind Levy letter" in order to find out if they do business there?

Levy on bank account after making payments on judgment [ 4 Answers ]

We had a lawsuit against our landlord in late January resulting in a judgment against us. We have made payments to the landlord since the judgment for two months now and sent payment as recently as last week and have receipt. I tried to use my account yesterday and all 3 accounts (personal,...

Can they levy a corporate account if the judgment is personal [ 1 Answers ]

They levied my personal bank account. It is a credit card judgment, can they also levy my corporate account? Logic dictates that they can not because it is a separate entity. We all know that logic is for idiots so that's why I am inquiring. Thank you.

Judgment & Bank Account Levy [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My bank account has been frozen by a collection agency/lawfirm that received a default judgment for $2,700. The original debt will be 10 years old this October. I will be going over to the Civil court and file a "Motion to vacate judgment" on the grounds I never received the court...

View more questions Search