Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Keisha25 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2012, 07:21 PM
    25 And finally being independent in a sense.
    So I am about to turn 25 and I have been sheltered my entire life. I am no Einstein but through the years I so happened to be in the final stage of getting my AA . I am an international student and I have been through family issues, medical issues as well as roommate issues which have caused me to not only fall back on my studies but waste a lot of time. But now that I am closer to my 25th birthday it seems like everyone is trying to push me out in the world on my own when I've really had my own share of heartaches and issues which caused a lot of mental blocks and depression which I hid from everyone around me. Being so privileged my friends often say there is absolutely nothing wrong with me and I shouldn't feel depressed but they really don't know how I feel. There are times I feel slow and a failure because it is taking me 3 and a half years to get a 2yr degree... how pathetic ? I know... How do I snap myself out of this depression and prove to everyone that I am indeed a smart person and just working to achieve my goal through all my doubts and issues??
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2012, 07:28 PM
    Having to earn money to pay for bill has a way of taking away the time you have to sit around and feel sorry for yourself. Then you find the less you do it, the less you want to do it.

Some people like having things to complain about... because they want the attention... but when its time to wake up and deal with the real world... they find nobody wants to hear them, and they don't really have time any more to mope around doing it. Some things are self propagating.

Sep 12, 2012, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Having to earn money to pay for bill has a way of taking away the time you have to sit around and feel sorry for yourself. Then you find the less you do it, the less you want to do it.
    It isn't that I don't want to work I have applied for the jobs I am most qualified for in my field I am just waiting for responses. Because I do not sit in the house doing anything I go to school and spend half my time on the laptop sending out resumes calling checking for availability in businesses. And I also paid for almost 2years of college tuition rent car insurance and pretty much everything else without asking for a dime but people on the outside think I'm pretty much worthless and useless.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2012, 07:37 PM
    If you have time to sit around thinking about such things all the time... then you have a lot of time on your hands you need to find something else that's productive to do.

Worst thing you can do is sit around saying woe is me... its a self destructive bad habit. Its also self fulfilling too.

No its not easy but you have to get yourself out of your comfort zone and force yourself to do things that you aren't comfortable doing... Volunteer at a homeless shelter on your spare time... if you want to get a real perspective on how bad you DON'T have it, that's a way you won't soon forget.

Sep 12, 2012, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    If you have time to sit around thinking about such things all the time....then you have a lot of time on your hands you need to find something else that's productive to do.

Worst thing you can do is sit around saying woe is me......its a self destructive bad habit. Its also self fulfilling too.

No its not easy but you have to get yourself out of your comfort zone and force yourself to do things that you aren't comfortable doing.....Volunteer at a homeless shelter on your spare time....if you want to get a real perspective on how bad you DON'T have it, thats a way you won't soon forget.
    Thank you so much for your help.. sometimes we need someone else's perspective to see what we lack or should be doing. I really appreciate it
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2012, 08:58 PM
    You know my cousin started about 30 years ago waiting for the perfect job in his field. He is still waiting.

You apply and do any job, in fact doing some jobs under your level may be worthwhile.

Next it appears you are blaming everyone but you for what is happening. In that you are hiding from it all. This is obviouslly effecting your life, how you live. I would suggest some professional counseling

Sep 13, 2012, 08:36 PM
    Will do thanks much

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finally something that makes sense- HR 1196 The "Loophole Elimination and Verifica [ 7 Answers ]

Finally something that makes sense- HR 1196 – The "Loophole Elimination and Verification Enforcement" Act Prohibit dealings that assist or encourage an illegal alien to cross the border or remain in the United States. Uphold identification security by specifying what forms of...

Well he finally did it again [ 11 Answers ]

Well I'm sure you all remember my first posts about me and my boyfriend. Well, he broke up with me again. Turns out the last time we ended up back together was only because he felt bad about hurting me and wanted to make me happy again. But this time he admitted that he only wanted to be friends,...

Is it finally over? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for years now. On and off throughout these years he has secretly been talking to his ex (on the phone, occasionally in person) Every time I found out he swore he would never do it again, so I would let it go, but then a few months would pass and then again I would find...

Finally! [ 5 Answers ]

Finally I got my wish. We're PREGNANT! Yay for me! So basically yea, all those of you who are trying, just keep your chins up and it will happen. :D

Finally did it... [ 11 Answers ]

I finally picked an avatar, it wasn't something I was looking for but it just kind of fell into place. I was looking for a background/wallpaper for my computer and it hunt for one I found a photo small enough to use as an avatar, so I decided to use it. Tell me if you know what is?? And if your...

View more questions Search