Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BeccaStacey Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2012, 03:07 PM
    Strange unidentified smell in carpet?
    We Have Just Moved Into Our New Flat, (We've Been Here For 2 Weeks) And For The Last Week We Have Had A Smell At Our Frontdoor Which Is At The Bottom Of Our Stairs. It Appeared Out Of Nowhere One Night When I Was In The Flat On My Own And My Partner Was In Work. I Didn't Even Go Down The Stairs That Night So It Couldn't Be That I've Spilled Something On The Carpet Or Walked Anything Into The Carpet, Yet As Soon As My Boyfriend Walked In The Door From Work He Got Hit With This Smell That Slightly Resembles Brussel Sprouts. We Thought Maybe It Could Be Our Rubbish Which Is Kept In The Hallway Just Outside The Door Until Bin Day, But The Rubbish Is Gone And We Have Disinfected The Bins And The Smell Still Returned. It Seems To Go If We Keep Our Front Door Open So It Can Air Into The Hallway But As Soon As We Close The Door It Starts To Come Back!? We Can't Figure Out What Could Possibly Be Causing The Smell, The Carpets Are All New So It Shouldn't Be Them. Any Ideas? Please Help As It's Driving Us Mad!
    Savanitta Posts: 88, Reputation: 7

Sep 14, 2012, 01:27 PM
    Have you check your attic? Is there any in your home?
    Could it be the glue in carpet?
    Savanitta Posts: 88, Reputation: 7

Sep 14, 2012, 01:28 PM
    Have you check your attic? Is there any in your home?
    Could it be from the glue in carpet?

Sep 15, 2012, 11:27 AM
    We Have An Attic But It's Two Flights Of Stairs Away From Where The Smell Is. There's No Smell Whatsoever Near The Attic. And I Don't Think It Could Be The Glue As There Was No Smell Any Time That We Viewed The Property Before We Moved In And For The 1st Week We Were Here There Was Also No Odour At All And Then It Just Appeared One Night. It's Driving Us Insane! It Just Will Not Clear. Even If We Leave The door Open So It Can Air Out, It Reappears When We Close The Door Again.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 11:59 AM
    Do you have any pets or do you know if there were pets in the apartment before you.

Sep 15, 2012, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Do you have any pets or do you know if there were pets in the apartment before you.?
    We Don't Have Any Pets. There Was A Dog Here Before And That's The Reason Why There's New Carpets Throughout, Because The Dog Ruined The Place. The Only Thing I Can Think Is That Something Got Into The Ground Floor Flat Below Us (Which Is Currently Unoccupied) And Has Maybe Somehow Got Under Our Stairs And Died But Would It Really Smell Like Cabbage Or Brussel Sprouts?
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Sep 15, 2012, 12:28 PM
    All the dead things I have ever found had a very distinctive smell, rancid and rotten.
    It would probably be worth having the landlord check underneath you to look for anything peculiar.
    Also wondering if all the padding was replaced along with the carpet and if the wood underneath may have gotten urine soaked at some point.
    I notice in my house that when the weather is damp or rainy, I detect mild odors in some places that are not there when it is nice, sunny and dry.
    I think these come from underneath the house (very low to the ground) but still noticeable.

Sep 15, 2012, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    All the dead things I have ever found had a very distinctive smell, rancid and rotten.
    It would probably be worth having the landlord check underneath you to look for anything peculiar.
    Also wondering if all the padding was replaced along with the carpet and if the wood underneath may have gotten urine soaked at some point.
    I notice in my house that when the weather is damp or rainy, I detect mild odors in some places that are not there when it is nice, sunny and dry.
    I think these come from underneath the house (very low to the ground) but still noticeable.

Our Friend Is Moving Into The Other Flat In A Few Days So We'll Soon Find Out If It's In There Too.. It's Just So Baffling! Thanks For Your Help :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unidentified terrible cabbage smell in my house [ 16 Answers ]

I have had a terrible smell in my house for at least 6 weeks. It smells like cabbage/rotten veg and it is unbearable. It was really bad and then it seemed to disappear, but now it's back with a vengeance. The smell is worst in the study and at the front door in the hall, also in a small toilet...

How to get dog urine smell out of my carpet? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I got a puppy a few months ago and as puppies do he's peed in the house here and there. I cleaned each mess up each time, but now that winter has started and were using our heater, we can smell it even though we cleaned it? I'm pretty grossed out by it and need some help figuring...

Dog smell in carpet from peeing how do I get the smell out/ [ 16 Answers ]

How do I get the dog pee smell out of my carpet?

Unidentified horrible smell! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a really terrible smell in my house. It has been there for 3-4 weeks. It is really strong in one particular room, our study, and on a bad day, you can smell it as soon as you walk in the door. I can only describe it as a sour smell, at first I was concerned that there may be a dead mouse or...

Cat urine smell in carpet [ 4 Answers ]

At some point one of the starys I feed has managed to get in and leave me a nasty niff on my office carpet. I have washed it with warm water and detergent on 5 separate occasions but I can not get rid of the smell and now I am sure the damp carpet is making it worse. Any ideas gratefully...

View more questions Search