Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wenf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2012, 12:18 PM
    Irresponsible adult children living at home
    Hello -
    How should a parent handle adult children (in their early 20's) who live at home but are completely disrespectful and irresponsible? They don't pay rent, don't ever clean up after themselves, collect dishes in their rooms and more... They both work but many times don't pay their own bills and come to mom to rescue them to the tune of thousands of dollars. Mom as no choice because she cosigned loans etc. One of my friend's son's recently put a lock on his door after she cleaned his disgustingly dirty room for the upteenth time. I am sick every time I hear of these schenagins. I don't have kids but I think she should kick them both out as she is enabling insane and unacceptable behaviours. This has been going on for years. What is your take?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 12, 2012, 12:53 PM
    The mother needs to grow a back bone. Adult children who are out of school but living at home should be required to pay monthly rent and must agree to meet certain behavior standards for the priveledge (share in chores, mow the lawn, keep their room neat, etc). Otherwise they get kicked out. As for the credit cards - shame on mommy for having co-signed the credit agreements without having any rules in place. She should tell the little tykes that if she has to pay the credit card bill she will call the credit card company to cancel the accounts. Adult children need to act like adults and learn to manage their affairs. If she allows them to act like teenagers they never will.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
    Yep, kick them out. If she co=signed a loan, that is her silly mistake.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2012, 07:31 PM
    She makes her own choices. If she chooses to enable her daughter, that is her business. Unfortunately there is nothing anyone can do about it until she has had enough.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 12, 2012, 08:13 PM
    If they were my kids, their butts would be out a long time ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adult children living at home who have felonys [ 3 Answers ]

I have 2 grown sons both with felony"s and can't get jobs. I going through a divorce . I can't stand anymore stealing from me and father. Tearing up house. No respect. They can't get jobs because of felonys, what can I do?

Adult Children Living At HOme [ 19 Answers ]

I have an adult child who lives at home who does not want to adhere to the rules that my husband and I have set. She does not do chores and stays out all night long. Also, whereas we recognize we cannot choose the company he associates with, we are not happy that she is dating a questionable...

Adult child living at home - how do I get him out? [ 4 Answers ]

My stepson moved in almost 3 months ago with his preschool age children. The deal was he could stay for 2 months to help him get his life in order, but he had to be out before winter. He keeps telling us that he doesn't qualify for assistance for housing or daycare, but he gets food stamps and...

Adult child living at home [ 4 Answers ]

My son is 22yrs old. Between the age of 18 up to now, he has had several jobs, none of which to hold a future. He lost his license for a DUI and currently having to pay back the debt that goes with it. We have kicked him out of our house about 2 years ago for lack of respect to us also did not want...

Adult children living at home [ 4 Answers ]

My husband has 2 adult children living at home, one is 22 and the other is 21. I have no problem with them living at home, but I do have a problem with them not lifing a finger to help out with household chores and pitching in for household bills. Both of the adult children work full time. My...

View more questions Search