Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starchy Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Mar 8, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Bathtub removal and replacement
    I am about to embark on a rather ambitious 2nd floor bathroom refit at my son's house. The appliances are about 30 years old, and everything is going to be replaced; tub, sink/vanity,toilet, and tiles and gypsum board all around the tub. They have left too many tiles with missing grout for too long and the long wall at the tub is soft and spongy. The mosaic tile floor will probably be replaced with a new tile floor that they want to have heated. Never having ripped out a tub, I could use advice as to how to disconnect the drain system from the tub, as well as any pointers to remove the tub. Last year I installed a new Moen temp balance faucet for which I had to create an access panel in the bedroom wall behind the valve end of the tub. I have also never replaced ceramic floor tiles before and assume that the sub floor may have to be ripped out. If so, is that how I can get under the tub to undo the drain? Or is the best way to enlarge the access panel down to the floor in the bedroom and get at the drain that way? This would not be my preferred action, but doable if that is the best way. The toilet and sink/vanity R&R is OK with me and quite within my scope as I have done that before. Any tips on getting the old tub and drain system out will be much appreciated. Thanks to all.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Most break the tub to remove it because it is so heavy. Others remove whole because the replacement has to go in the same way. The drain is either cut or unscrewed, depending on how the tub is removed.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Well, you could use a 'P.O. Plug Wrench' to remove the drain shoe -- You're going to need one anyway when you install the new tub.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgement removal [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to remove a judgement from my credit. It is from an apartment complex. First I need to know the correct amount to pay and second to correct place to pay; so when this is done it will reflect on my credit as paid. I need help in finding the proper channels and procedures.

Help! Under the bathtub... [ 1 Answers ]

We are putting in a new tub due to some leakage in the previous tub surround. When we pulled up the tub, the tub drain hooks to a larger drain. The top of this larger drain appears to be open. Is this to vent the drain? It appears that the toilet also hooks to this drain. What keeps the...

View more questions Search