Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nindzha Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Mar 8, 2007, 03:36 PM
    A theory
    Here is an interesting theory about why there is big possibility that there is something after death.
    We all know that when we drop the book it fells on the ground. We have learned that because of our experinces since a child that this law works 100%.
    Now we don't know what was before us but we know that we are ALIVE in this moment This is also 100%. So why should life stop but the book will always keep falling down.
    The problem here is that we have only ONE experince about life. We don't know what was before this life. On the other hand we have many more experiences about a book falling down so we defently KNOW that a book will fall. If we look from the third person view, imagine seeing your life, OK I live, I live, I live,. oops; - I stopped living.? From this point we can persume that if we are alive, we will ALWAYS be alife.

What do you think?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 05:38 AM
    I don't get it. Can you put it into a sentence like "If _______ then _______" ?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 05:48 AM
    I think the theory is "Because we only have the experience (or memory) of a single life, we cannot possibly know what comes after"

That's about as far as I got, but I don't understand how this proves there is life after death.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    I think the theory is "Because we only have the experience (or memory) of a single life, we cannot possibly know what comes after"

that's about as far as I got, but I don't understand how this proves there is life after death.
    ?
    Right. The conclusion that "if we are alive, we will ALWAYS be alife" cannot be reached starting with "we cannot possibly know what comes after" - they're opposing statements.
    (pardon my terminology. I remember logic theory, but not the terms :) )

So, nindzha, can you clarify?
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 06:09 AM
    Mm, well everythign except the conclusion says what I said, to me.

There's definitely something very flawed in the argument... I think nindzha is comparing life to a book??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 06:09 AM
    Or how do you even know you are really alive NOW, are you merely someone else's day dream or night dream and your thoughts and memories are merely those the dream is giving you. And when the person awakes you are gone until the next dream

Mar 9, 2007, 09:17 AM
    I will try to eloborate.
    We live, we have this experience. Like we have an experience of gravity or any other laws that work that we know 100%.
    Imagine that you can drop the book only ONE time in your life. It falls down, but are u 100% that if you would have another chance, that it won't get up or that it won't fall. It is the same with life you have only ONE experience.
    But if the laws of physcis apply, and living is some sorth of an "action"; there must be some sorth of a law.
    From that we can persume that we always live. If we would have multiple tries stored in our brains we would know that we are "immortal".

Example: We are born - book is at somewath of an alttitude.
    We live - book is falling.
    We die - book is on the ground
    That all that you must do is pick up the book. Here it could be a role of some sorth of God.
    This example is not really good but it is the closest, that I can think to explain.
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Heh, I like the analogy, but in my worldview, there is no god, and thus when the book hits the floor, that is where it stays.

I don't think your argument proves anything, it only is an analogy. What if there is no God... what if God doesn't want to pick up the book?
    While it's a nice analogy to think about, I think it still comes down to a belief in God or not.

I won't go into the flaws of your physics assumptions, but there are some.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 09:29 AM
    It seems that you are trying to have the science equate to the faith which cannot happen (that's why it's called faith).

How do you know that you can pick up a book and start over? Because you've done it before. There is no equivalent to that for death - maybe there is no 'book to pick up' analogy after death.

Mar 9, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Sure, I agree here is the problem. I think that the odds for an afterlife are higher.
    We ll be 100% at the moment we die.

Just to lead this thought forward, I know that every single thing in this Universe has its pourpuse. So there is no real point in leaving the book on the ground. There is nothing to gain.
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nindzha
    I think that the odds for an afterlife are higher.
    How did you calculate those odds? Nothing you have written here leads to that conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by nindzha
    So there is no real point in leaving the book on the ground. There is nothing to gain.
    Is there a point in a leaf falling to the ground? Absolutely. Hey, books fall to the ground every day and stay there. Look at it this way - who are you to know every way an event can be interrelated to another? Perhaps books on the ground are primordial to other events.

Mar 9, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Look at it this way - who are you to know every way an event can be interelated to another?
    I don't I am just exploring the possibilities.

Let me just add that you are one hell of a sceptic. (no disrespect) ;)
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Yes, that I am. :D
    Call it 'due diligence'.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 09:18 PM
    I'm just awaiting the other shoe to hit the floor. Then I will know for certain. You really notice gravity much more as you get older. Test your theory in, say, 40 years. If you still remember it that is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A little number theory [ 3 Answers ]

Here's a problem maybe you number theorists will like. Just an exercise in modular arithmetic. Think about Fermat's little theorem. "Find the remainder when 5^{100} is divided by 7". Yes, you could use a good calculator, but that's no fun.

Theory [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone give some tips on the best way to learn electrical theory. I have tried a few theory books from my friend who is a electrical engineer, but the books are very complex and I just want to learn the basics. I am a project engineer for a contractor and do not need to know a lot of theory,...

Positional Theory [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone ever heard of positional theory?

Bohr theory vs modern theory [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone explain the differences between the bohr and the modern atomic theories in the description of the electron Thanks :p

View more questions Search