Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gcarlson01 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2012, 05:08 PM
    Why is my nineteen year old being disrespectful to me?
    At nineteen my son wants to go live with his dad. His dad puts me down and has talked bad about me to the kids growing up. He isn't very respectful. I don't know what to do. Any comments. I can't figure out if he is being pressured or not by his father. I love him and we used to be able to talk about things, now he clams up.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2012, 05:11 PM
    He's nineteen... and an adult... send him to his dad... see how long dad puts up with it before he sends him out of the house...

Honestly he needs some harsh lessons in life... starting right now... at nineteen there is no reason except being in college full time he should be sitting around and not working.

When he gets his first few courses in the school of hard knocks... he's going to see what an A$$ he's been and will come around... but its not going to happen as long as he lounges around mooching off mom and dad.

Sep 11, 2012, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    He's nineteen...and an adult...send him to his dad...see how long dad puts up with it before he sends him out of the house...
    After I found out that he is moving to his dads. He started acting more quiet and like he doesn't want to talk to me about anything about his own life anymore.

Sep 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    He's nineteen...and an adult...send him to his dad...see how long dad puts up with it before he sends him out of the house...

Honestly he needs some harsh lessons in life...starting right now...at nineteen there is no reason except being in college full time he should be sitting around and not working.
    Well he does go to a jr college and he has been working on the weekends. So he is doing fine in that area.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2012, 05:25 PM
    I bet he finds out soon enough the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence... about the time dad gets tired of dealing with his attitude... which will come out... give it time...

Patience... give it time and he's going to feel like a real heel for treating you this way...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2012, 05:30 PM
    Always spin conversations to the positive. If he needles you about something or complains, don't even respond but cheerfully ask him what kind of cookies does he want you to bake that evening and ask him if he wants to help or at least take the first sample. Or say something else upbeat that will touch his heart.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 11, 2012, 07:37 PM
    He's 19 and thinks he is getting to old and wants freedom. Plus if he see's his dad getting by with it, he may feel this is acceptable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my 25 year old so selfish, and disrespectful? [ 21 Answers ]

My 25 year old acts like a 17 year old. I think she should be told to move out but I'm afraid she will end up on the street. I want her to know I'm here to help if she needs it but she has to grow up. She has a job, we let her use our car to get to and from work. We have told her a number of...

22 Year old Daughter disrespectful [ 22 Answers ]

Just wondered if I'm in the wrong or is she right? I am a widow and have been raising my now 22 year old daughter. She has this boyfriend that is an airline pilot and he really doesn't act like he really cares for her. He didn't txt or emails my daughter for a month or two. She didn't hear...

Disrespectful 19 year old child [ 7 Answers ]

At my wit's end! I have a 19 year old who just graduated last May. He's my first born and was an only child for 10 years. I was in a verbally/emotionally abusive relationship with his father, my husband. We were 21 when he was born and had no relationship skills, but we loved each other. We...

12 year old stepson VERY disrespectful [ 7 Answers ]

I am a step-father to a 12 year old that is very disrespectful. This child has been head strong since day one when I entered there lives five years ago. The father had not been involved in her life until I came into the picture. This child goes to her father every other weekend and two times a...

View more questions Search