Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skyscape Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Can I apply tax treaty?
    I came to USA in Oct 2003 from China, with H1B visa to do research in University.
    I never came to USA before that, and did not left after arriving.
    China has a tax treaty with USA to get 3 years income tax free.
    Can I apply this treaty?
    The 3 year is 3-calander year or 36-month?
    Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 10, 2007, 01:45 AM
    The China Tax Treaty exemptions do NOT apply for H-1B visa holders In my opinion.
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 10, 2007, 08:19 AM
    If you meet all the applicable requirements, you should still be able to claim the exemption. You can become a resident and still qualify in this case. Use three actual years, not calendar years.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2007, 09:53 PM
    I will concede to TaxSearcher's greater knowledge in this area!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to h1, and tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a full time F-1 student in Mar '01 to Jul '06, and from Aug '06 I am under OPT working in an US company. 1) Do I need to file the 1040 or 1040NR for 2006? 2) there is $5000 tax treaty between US and China, so I am wondering, if this tax treaty for all kind of incomes, or just...

India-US tax treaty [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I came here in jan 2004 as J-1 Research scholar. Initially for few months the university withheld my federeal taxes but then stopped it. So when I filed my tax return 1040-NR for the year 2004 , the whole salary was exempted under the treaty and I also got the refund of the amount deducted...

Treaty tax benefits [ 3 Answers ]

This is really a great form. Thanks for answering all my questions. I was reading through some messages and came to know that I did a mistake while filing 2004 year returns. Here is my case: I came to US on H1 in 2003 and stayed for 257 days and filed my 2003 returns as Resident alien. I stayed...

Tax Treaty instructions [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian national and am trying to apply for the personal + standard deduction as outlined in the US-India tax treaty. As I was going through the instruction booklet for tax treaties (Pub 901), it states the following: "The exemption does not apply to payments borne by a permanent...

F1OPT -> H1, tax form and tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on F1 from 1998 to 2004, F1 OPT from July 2004 - July 2005, and H1 since July 2005. I'm working at the same job since my F1 OPT (so I have one W-2 form). In 2005, I was in the US with H1-B for less than 183 days, but I have been hear long enough with F1 visa, so I don't know if 1. I...

View more questions Search