Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jaimesue Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2012, 04:32 PM
    Hipaa?
    I work as a MA in a pediatrics office. Tonight I saw one of the parents in the grocery store whose child I gave shots to earlier. She said didn't I just see you at the docotrs office, you gave my kid shots. With out thinking I said oh yeah I did didn't I. was that breaking Hipaa?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2012, 05:30 PM
    No, if you saw them at the store and told someone else in the store, they were just in the doctors office and I gave them shots, that is a violation.

In this case, the patient came to you and talked to you about the visit.
    Jaimesue Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2012, 09:13 PM
    What if my daughter was standing next to me and heard the patients mother say that? My daughter blurted out you have her kid shots! I smiled and tried to change the subject.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2012, 09:43 PM
    The mother of the child, could have said it over the intercom, posted it on a billboard, If she started the conversation then it is not a violation. I have been introduced to large groups by patients as the medical tech who did this or that for them. Before I did a speech.

With a patients permission you can tell anyone, everything.

You merely answered their direct question. Without adding any further medical info
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 11, 2012, 04:10 AM
    You can of course give your daughter a little lesson in the importance of medical privacy at your place of work and how it relates to what happened outside of work. But that's another matter entirely.

I remember when HIPAA started and everyone was so uptight, yet I would go sign for a prescription when I picked it up at CVS, and there on the clipboard were the names and drugs of people I knew. There have been so many ways that it is applied in the most ridiculous ways, but not always in the most obviously needed ones.
    I like to joke about how hospitals should issue paper bags to put over our heads for sitting in waiting rooms in case we recognize someone and both violate HIPAA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa... [ 1 Answers ]

If a company was found guilty of a hipaa violation can the person who's rights were violated still presue legal action? Just a quick question.

Hipaa [ 2 Answers ]

I had a miscarriage last week. The hospital registration person called my mother and father and told them she was calling from pre-op and needed to speak to me right away about my "procedure" the next day. It was no real emergency, just the regular pre-op stuff. I did not plan to tell anyone I was...

Hipaa [ 18 Answers ]

Can a manager pull employee patient chart research the chart call the pharmacy using my date of birth and name getting list of my medications that I take and share this information with other co-workers with my patient chart in view for the other co-workers to see, can she take employee personnel...

Hipaa [ 2 Answers ]

My Husband was referred to a Nurologist from a stand in dr to test for nerves all test came back normal but she wanted him to get a second opion. In the mean time he had to go to the Company dr for a DOT physical which he past all of his exam but the dr. informed him in his records to the...

View more questions Search